CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Different strut options (FE1, FE3, FE45)

I am considering getting new struts for my '97 DeVille (base). As far as I know, I have the FE1 softride suspension. Actually, as far as I know, all DeVilles have the FE1 softride suspension, unless they have the active suspension (Concourse only).

Rockauto has the following ACDelco options:

ACDELCO Part # 503671 More Information About this Part {#19294357} PREMIUM GAS CHARGED

STRUT,FRT SUSP LEFT HAND; 4 DOORS; EXC ELEC ADJ SUSP

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days

$79.99

ACDELCO Part # 503672 More Information About this Part {#19294359} PREMIUM GAS CHARGED

STRUT,FRT SUSP RIGHT HAND; 4 DOORS; EXC ELEC ADJ SUSP

* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 5 business days

$79.99

ACDELCO Part # 505525 More Information About this Part {#22064723}

STRUT,FRT SUSP LEFT HAND; w/SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1) or SUSP(6LR)

$136.89

ACDELCO Part # 505526 More Information About this Part {#22064724}

STRUT,FRT SUSP RIGHT HAND; w/SOFT RIDE SUSP(FE1) or SUSP(7LR)

$142.79

My question is: can I use the cheaper struts? It does not say FE1 explicitly, but what else could it be? Is there a risk that they are FE3 (sport)? I would like to keep my soft ride.

Is FE3 sport a passive strut that is just stiffer, or is FE3 the active strut that went with the F45 road sensing chassis?

I have trouble finding this information. Any help would be appreciated, as always!

/Jonas

That's true once you go aftermarket they don't list them by fe1 etc. For instance monroe sells a few levels, monroe matic the lowest, then sensatracs the highest, reflex for some offroad applications. I've bought the cheapies thinking they would be softer and the sensatracs be more stiffer but it doesn't really work like that. the sensatracs may seem just as soft but the way they are built your car won't continue to bounce the same as a cheap shock when you push the car down. I went from the cheap monroes on my fleetwood to the acdelco cheap shocks and actually noticed a difference in a good way, didn't bottom out as easy yet still rode just as smooth if not better. Hope that helps some that's my experience.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Thanks for your reply, CoupeDTS. All of the struts that I mentioned above are ACDelco. I am just trying to figure out what the difference is between the ones for 80 dollars and the ones for 140 dollars. The ones for 140 dollars are explicitly marked as FE1, which I think should be the cheapest kind (as opposed to the active dampers that usually cost several hundred dollars a piece). The question is if I can use the 80-dollar struts. The possible problem that I can see is if they would be a stiffer grade (since FE1 is the softest). Rockauto cannot answer, and ACDelco online customer service could also not answer! Rockauto referred me to ACDelco online service, which in turn referred me to my local dealer, which becomes slightly problematic since I am over in Sweden. Has anyone bought the 80-dollar ACDelcos mentioned in my first post?

I had to buy some delco air shocks for the back of my fleetwood and there was differences in prices, the difference was one came with an air kit and one didnt. Also some come with mounts on the ends if needed and some dont. I would think rockauto would pull the part and look at it for you to see any difference

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Archived