CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

went to gas station and car wouldnt start and run unless i applied gas. got it home, put it on slow charge for a bit and it wouldnt start/run unless i pressed gas pedal, otherwise it would die. the crank positioning sensors were just changed out in feb so those should be good. all connections and grounds seem to be in order. ill take the batt tomorrow to test it at one of the parts stores. any other suggestions?

codes i got were

C1287-History-Steering sensor malfunction

B1328-History-Vehicle Voltage sysrem above 15.9v

B1982/3-History-Device power circuit high/low

Has your throttle body ever been cleaned?

What you are describing sounds very much like a gummed up throttle body bore, throttle valve perimeter OR most likely a gummed up Idle Air Control passage and valve.

Remove the engine air intake pieces necessary to access the throttle body and spend the time required to remove as much crud as possible with rags, a toothbrush and a can of throttle body cleaner. Use a piece of scrap wood or a screwdriver handle to hold the throttle valve full open to facilitate cleaning the perimeter of the throttle valve. Avoid spraying large quantities of throttle body cleaner in the intake system; liquids do not compress.

When the throttle body and throttle valve are as clean as you can get them, you will see a small diameter air passage at the 3 o'clock position of the throttle body bore ID in front of the throttle valve. This passage is the idle air bypass when the throttle valve is closed. I would take the time to remove the IAC valve for cleaning and while the IAC valve is removed, use compressed air to be sure the idle air passage is clear.

None of the codes you reported have anything to do with your engine not starting at idle.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived