CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield wipers

tfjenk

Ever since I replaced the wipers on my 99 SLS, the scraping and noise has driven me nuts. I followed someone's advice here several months ago and bought Trico. Well, the honeymoon with them lasted about a week. I tried the ammonia and window cleaner, no improvement. Finally, yesterday, I went to dealer and asked for some inserts. He had them and noted that the pair had different stock numbers and one was for the left and one for the right. $16.00 for the pair. They appeared to be exactly alike. What would make them so different that one is on the left and the other goes on the right?? BTW, they seem perfect now.

Some inserts/arms are left and right. My STS has a left and right. Just the refills, however, I cannot say whether or not there are left and right. It could be; perhaps the blades are angles slightly, so if you reversed one, the angle would be off.

I try to save money where I can, and for the first 13 years of my driving history, I used Anco, Trico, Wally World, whatever. Likewise, as you experainced, it doesn't take long for them to go to hell in one way or the other. On the recomendation of a GM parts man (who would tell me when to buy other-than-GM because there are better than GM parts) I started using GM wiper blades in 1987, and it makes all the difference.

There may be a difference in length between the driver and passenger side. Typically, if the blades are a different length, the driver side will be an inch longer.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived