CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

255/50R17: Is this a viable tire size?

STS Scott

I am stuck with the stodgy 225/60R17s until they wear out, but I am dreaming anyway...

Would I have a problem going to a 255/50R17?

The over all diameter would be reduced to just a little bigger than what the stock 225/60R16 were, however the tread is what worries me. Will a 255 tread rub too much? (a little when the steering is locked over would be OK).

A 255 tread would give an awesome stance from the rear/front, and anything lower profile then those stodgy tires I have now would do better for the side!

Thanks for any input!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I think you'll need to reduce the amount of positive wheel offset to assure you don't scrub on the interior wheel well. I had P255/45R17's on a '93 STS and experienced slight scrubbing. I went back to a P245/50R17.

I forget what the stock positive offset was, I recall it was around 42mm.

How do I reduce the off-set without spacers? (It does not look like there is enough meat on the threads to accomodate for them)

Thanks!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I assumed you were buying new rims. If your existing rims are not at least 7.5" wide, I would certainly consider new ones to mount a 255mm wide tire. Even if the tire spec.s state you can use a 7" rim, you are pushing it. It is always wise to stay away from the "extreme" ends of the range allowance for matching tires and rims if you want to maximize performance and wear on a tire.

I once mounted a tire to the minimum stated rim width and ended up with tread seperation with low miles on the tire. I am sure the narrow rim "stressed" it. I won't make that mistake again.

Archived