CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'98 Black STS Peeling Paint

Has anyone else seen this problem. I'm losing 3-4" strips on the plastic body-side moldings and both bumpers. I've seen similar issues before due to problems with the raw substrate or poor cure of catalized paint, but nothing 6 years after manufacture. The problem must be related to long term weathering and exposure to UV light. Does anyone suppose GM will stand behind a painted product after 6 years?

Has anyone else seen this problem. I'm losing 3-4" strips on the plastic body-side moldings and both bumpers. I've seen similar issues before due to problems with the raw substrate or poor cure of catalized paint, but nothing 6 years after manufacture. The problem must be related to long term weathering and exposure to UV light. Does anyone suppose GM will stand behind a painted product after 6 years?

with proper care no paint should "peel" fade or oxidize to the point where its just plain unacceptable. Not saying you didn’t take care of it right, might have been the previous owner or that the whether in your area really beats up on car paint and you didn’t take the precautionary steps to protect it...That’s not for me to decide All I know is that there is no way Cadillac will stand behind this and fix it free of charge if that’s what your asking. Just dont see it happening brother :(

Are you the first owner? I had problems with pealing clear coat. Found out previous owner had paint work done at ****** paint shop. "Crafsman Colision"

Had to have re done. Seems OK now.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Archived