CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello All,

New member and I am trying to find out some info. I own a 2002 cadillac Deville Dts. My airshocks are all the way down. My compressor comes on randomly and only for a few seconds before going off. But the shocks did not lift the rear end up. So from what I know the fuse is fine and I checked the lines for breaks but nothing. What confuses me is the compressor comes on but shuts of in the matter of seconds. It used to come on normaly for around 15-20 seconds. I am in mass and we have had alot of snow. Any ideas will be great on this issue.

Thank you

There could be something wrong with the sensor, which has a little arm connected to the suspension of the left rear wheel (at least on my '97). It does sound strange that the compressor only comes on so shortly when the rear is down. The system consists of (at least on my '97):

ELC Compressor Assembly (includes motor, compressor cylinder, vent valve and air dryer

ELC Height Sensor

ELC Relay (in the trunk compartment relay center)

Don't buy parts before you know what is going on, but if you end up having to buy parts you can check out Arnott and Suncore. Arnott makes their own compressors and air shocks, and Suncore remanufactures compressors. I went with Arnott shocks and a Suncore compressor, because I had read that the Arnott compressors were noisy (otherwise working fine according to what I found on the net). The Arnott shocks were fine, although the bushings were about 1/16th of an inch or 1.5 mm narrower than the originals, requiring washers for a snug fit. The Suncore compressor I got was malfunctioning, but they quickly sent me another one which works fine, so far. Just make sure to order new air shocks before ordering the compressor if you choose to go with Suncore - otherwise you will get no warranty on the compressor. You can also buy AC Delco from e.g. Rockauto.

If you replace the compressor, also replace the dryer. It is cheap compared to the other parts, and important (keeps the inside of the system dry).

If you need to check for leaks, you can try using leak spray (or dish soap + water - spray it on the air suspension parts and look for bubbles). But perhaps you already did that.

Good luck!

/Jonas

There could be something wrong with the sensor, which has a little arm connected to the suspension of the left rear wheel (at least on my '97). It does sound strange that the compressor only comes on so shortly when the rear is down. The system consists of (at least on my '97):

ELC Compressor Assembly (includes motor, compressor cylinder, vent valve and air dryer

ELC Height Sensor

ELC Relay (in the trunk compartment relay center)

Don't buy parts before you know what is going on, but if you end up having to buy parts you can check out Arnott and Suncore. Arnott makes their own compressors and air shocks, and Suncore remanufactures compressors. I went with Arnott shocks and a Suncore compressor, because I had read that the Arnott compressors were noisy (otherwise working fine according to what I found on the net). The Arnott shocks were fine, although the bushings were about 1/16th of an inch or 1.5 mm narrower than the originals, requiring washers for a snug fit. The Suncore compressor I got was malfunctioning, but they quickly sent me another one which works fine, so far. Just make sure to order new air shocks before ordering the compressor if you choose to go with Suncore - otherwise you will get no warranty on the compressor. You can also buy AC Delco from e.g. Rockauto.

If you replace the compressor, also replace the dryer. It is cheap compared to the other parts, and important (keeps the inside of the system dry).

If you need to check for leaks, you can try using leak spray (or dish soap + water - spray it on the air suspension parts and look for bubbles). But perhaps you already did that.

Good luck!

/Jonas

yes i know on my 2000 deville the lever was by the drivers side coil spring in the back.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

I thought of a few more things:

1: It is normal for the compressor to come on for a few seconds after a while each time the car is started (unless they changed that for the later year models). On mine it comes on and vents (to keep the car level) for about 1 second after about 20 seconds. If I put a lot of stuff in the car before starting (so that it actually needs to level), the compressor comes on after a few seconds and runs longer (maybe 20 seconds of so if I put a lot of stuff in). If your compressor used to run for about 20 seconds when you had not changed the load, you have a leak somewhere.

2: Since your compressor now cycles on/off so briefly, which sounds like the normal thing when the car is already level or too high, I would suspect the height sensor, i.e. it makes the car think that it is level or too high even though it is not.

Hello,

Thank you for all the replys I am still trying to figure it out. I have two levers one on each side. I am waiting for warmer weather to take tires off and check. I had my car up on ramps and everything looked good. Is there a switch that both of those level sensor run to or something? It just seems wierd on for like a second like its adjusting it self and then off. I just cant seem to wrap around the idea of both level sensors gone. I double checked no codes. If there was a leak in the lines would the compressor just keep coming on?

Thank you

Yes, the compressor would keep on going for a while (several minutes) if there was a leak. After that, it would either shut down to prevent damage, or break. It would not last if it ran continuously. Can you describe the symptoms more precisely:

1: Does the compressor always run for a second after you start the car?

2: If so, how long after you start the car?

3: Does it run at any other times?

Another thought: what if only one of your sensors broke, and gives a continuous high-signal. Would that be enough to keep the compressor from pumping up the shocks? Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the ELC than me can provide the answer to this question.

Archived