CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Foggem UP GLassses

gm_fan

I have a problem with my 1998 STS which is the car has no defroster or heater as far as where the air comes out. Always out the vents regardless of location on the controls.I ran the codes and they are as follows..1283 ABS current,1344 IPM current, and 1785 RSS current. I know the abs is brakes and the 1785 is suspension, but thats about all I know.Any suggestions?? thanks very much,,gm_fan I forgot to add that I had the engine and cradle out of the car doing head work last week, but I am not sure if I had the problem before, as I have not had the car that long..Is all the vent changing electrical actuated or by vaccuum? thanks again gm_fan

I have a problem with my 1998 STS which is the car has no defroster or heater as far as where the air comes out....I ran the codes and they are as follows..1283 ABS current,1344 IPM current, and 1785 RSS current.... I know the abs is brakes and the 1785 is suspension, but thats about all I know.

We really need the complete code; your ABS, IPM, and RSS prefixes are not definitive.

A five character OBDII trouble code is very specific as to module and the first character of the code is important. The possible first characters are B (Body), C (Chassis), P (Powertrain), and U (Network).

Any suggestions??

Display your codes and give us the full five character code.

....I forgot to add that I had the engine and cradle out of the car doing head work last week,....

Consider the possibilty you failed to bolt down a ground block electrical connection during the installation of the cradle.

Is all the vent changing electrical actuated....

Yes.

Do you plan to flip this vehicle or use it as a daily driver?

PS: Is there some significance to your thread title??

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Here's the wiring DWG for the actuators. Note they are all supplied by the same 10 amp fuse.

post-416-129073997723_thumb.gif

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I have a problem with my 1998 STS which is the car has no defroster or heater as far as where the air comes out....I ran the codes and they are as follows..1283 ABS current,1344 IPM current, and 1785 RSS current.... I know the abs is brakes and the 1785 is suspension, but thats about all I know.

We really need the complete code; your ABS, IPM, and RSS prefixes are not definitive.

A five character OBDII trouble code is very specific as to module and the first character of the code is important. The possible first characters are B (Body), C (Chassis), P (Powertrain), and U (Network).

Any suggestions??

Display your codes and give us the full five character code.

....I forgot to add that I had the engine and cradle out of the car doing head work last week,....

Consider the possibilty you failed to bolt down a ground block electrical connection during the installation of the cradle.

Is all the vent changing electrical actuated....

Yes.

Do you plan to flip this vehicle or use it as a daily driver?

PS: Is there some significance to your thread title??

My wife is using the car for her daily driver. Very nice example of this style car with original paint and mint inside with 64K miles,,,one owner car..the windshield was fogging up today as the temp started out at 68 degrees this morning and it is sleeting outside right now..Just need the defrost to work properly.Its not safe to drive without it working thanks gm_fan

the codes for the body module are b1343 and b1344 current codes..I check all the fuses in both fuse boxes with no shot fuses..no defrost or no floor air , vents only..like I said , I dont recall if the defrost worked before I done the head work as I bought the car with the head gaskets blown and have not driven it very much until recently.thanks again gm_fan

the codes for the body module are b1343 and b1344 current codes.

B1343 - Air Inlet Door Movement Fault

B1344 - HeaterDefrost/AC Door Movement Fault

The codes explain why you are unable to control where the air flow is directed.

I'll look at the wiring diagrams to see if those two door actuators have a common ground or something else in common. Failure of two door actuators at the same time is too coincidental for my mind to accept.

The variable we both have to accept is you do not know the history of the vehicle.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

the codes for the body module are b1343 and b1344 current codes.

B1343 - Air Inlet Door Movement Fault

B1344 - HeaterDefrost/AC Door Movement Fault

The codes explain why you are unable to control where the air flow is directed.

I'll look at the wiring diagrams to see if those two door actuators have a common ground or something else in common. Failure of two door actuators at the same time is too coincidental for my mind to accept.

The variable we both have to accept is you do not know the history of the vehicle.

The one thing I do remember when I was driving the car back in the summer was the fact the air was not blowing very hard out the dash vents when the fan was on high. I commented to my wife about it is why I remembered it.Now it blows normally out the dashs vents with the blower on high, so I suspect I had a problem before I worked on it.Just thought it might be important I mentioned it..thanks again gm_fan

Try cycling the HVAC control through all the various options from AUTO to the selections using the MODE switch. Pause about 10 seconds in each selection.

Sometimes the HVAC door actuators get out of sync with the HVAC control module. The above can get all the parts singing from the same page.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Try cycling the HVAC control through all the various options from AUTO to the selections using the MODE switch. Pause about 10 seconds in each selection.

Sometimes the HVAC door actuators get out of suync with the HVAC control module. The above can get all the parts singing from the same page.

I went to the actuator today and have voltage of various voltage on several of the pins. does anyone have a diagram showing the end connector to the actuator? I am starting to believe its a control problem ..thanks gm_fan

I went to the actuator today and have voltage of various voltage on several of the pins. does anyone have a diagram showing the end connector to the actuator? I am starting to believe its a control problem ..thanks gm_fan

This what you're looking for?

post-416-129092520429_thumb.gif

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Kind of , I was wanting to see an end view with all the wire colors listed,,, but that helps and thanks very much,,Mark

Kind of , I was wanting to see an end view with all the wire colors listed,,, but that helps and thanks very much,,Mark

The wire colors are given in the wiring DWG in my post #3.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Archived