CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

04 Deville coolant leak after it sits a couple days

Hello

I just bought a 04 Deville with 97k on it. Runs a tad rough on startup not sure why gone in a minute this is my first Northstar.

Clean collant , clean oil but after a couple days sitting in my garage I noticed some coolant under it. Jacked up and looked but cant tell where it is coming from. Just looks like it is seeping through a cast piece at the bottom of the engine on the driver side before the tranny. It is super clean so nothing is obstructed. Anybody else ever see this

Thanks

AL

....looks like it is seeping through a cast piece at the bottom of the engine on the driver side before the tranny. It is super clean so nothing is obstructed.

:welcomesmiley:

The good news is you are describing an external coolant leak.

Without pictures, is sounds like you have gasket seepage at what is called the coolant crossover, which is the coolant circulation path between the cylinder banks.

If you do not have to add coolant to the reservoir every 14 to 30 days, you do not have a "serious" leak. Simply a minor - nuisance leak that might be resolved by adding one or two tubes of "BAR'S LEAKS RADIATOR Stop Leak" powder product to the upper (RH) radiator hose. The product is available at Wal-Mart and the BAR'S LEAK package states "p/n G12BP" on the back side.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

....looks like it is seeping through a cast piece at the bottom of the engine on the driver side before the tranny. It is super clean so nothing is obstructed.

:welcomesmiley:

The good news is you are describing an external coolant leak.

Without pictures, is sounds like you have gasket seepage at what is called the coolant crossover, which is the coolant circulation path between the cylinder banks.

If you do not have to add coolant to the reservoir every 14 to 30 days, you do not have a "serious" leak. Simply a minor - nuisance leak that might be resolved by adding one or two tubes of "BAR'S LEAKS RADIATOR Stop Leak" powder product to the upper (RH) radiator hose. The product is available at Wal-Mart and the BAR'S LEAK package states "p/n G12BP" on the back side.

Thanks I will try and get it on a rack to see exactly where it is coming from. It only does it cold and only sometimes thats what makes me nuts. What about these tablets from Cadillac everyone keeps talking about will they work and where do I get them?

Al

....What about these tablets from Cadillac everyone keeps talking about will they work and where do I get them?

How about a Cadillac dealer parts counter?

The BAR'S LEAKS product I mentioned is exactly the same material. BAR'S LEAKS is the GM supplier for the "tablet" product (in a different package).

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Well I've always installed the tablets in the lower hose before the thermostat...when the thermostat is open of course,run the engine until operating temp(lower hose becomes warm) place your oil change tray underneath to catch coolant remove the clamp on the lower rad hose allowing coolant to spew out. With the hose in your left hand dump 3 crushed tabs in,reinstall and top up with fresh coolant,allow it to run to operating temp again/test drive.

look1-1-1.jpg

Well I've always installed the tablets in the lower hose before the thermostat...

Your logic is lost on me since I find it necessary to remove the upper (outlet) hose to gain easy access to the lower (inlet) hose. Removing the upper hose only will spill very little coolant; certainly less than a quart and possibly less than 8 oz.

And I prefer the powder form.

But whatever works for you....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I'm hoping thats what it is. Been driving it 2 days now no leaks. Ill put some sealant in anyway this weekend. Thanks

Hows Woodstock used to live in Antioch still have friends there.

Woodstock is getting cold. Otherwise hasn't changed much in decades. Surrounding areas are another story.

Archived