CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 DeVille Radio replacement

TEO

My brother has a 1999 Deville with the OEM cassette radio. He has wanted to upgrade to an OEM CD radio and I bought him one off Ebay. He installed the radio and went to a local Cadillac dealer to have it programed in and it would not work. I contected the seller and he immediately sent a replacement radio. The result with the second radio is the same. Are we doing something wrong or is there a problem at the dealer? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

My brother has a 1999 Deville with the OEM cassette radio. He has wanted to upgrade to an OEM CD radio and I bought him one off Ebay. He installed the radio and went to a local Cadillac dealer to have it programed in and it would not work. I contected the seller and he immediately sent a replacement radio. The result with the second radio is the same. Are we doing something wrong or is there a problem at the dealer? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

What did the dealer say about it? How was it not working what was wrong? Was it dead? I assume the prior radio worked?

If you think its a problem with the radio, if so this firm does a good job http://www.modelelectronics.com Its possible that the seller was unable to test them and they were defective when you got them

The newer Delco radio have a datalink wire. The radio checks the VIN number programmed into it to make sure it matches the one coming from the ECU. I think they started this on the nicer cars in 2003. If the car has a datalink wire, you can have the radio programmed at the dealer with the new VIN number. I think it takes a dealer only level II blah blah blah to do it.. If the car doesn't have a datalink wire, you are stuck with a doorstop.

If you are wondering how I know this it's beccause I have a doorstop for sale.

I need to say I don't know if this is the case with the Cadillacs. I do know that I bought a radio that looked exactly the same as the one in my S-10 from a Tahoe. It had the same look, size and color (Other than the Cd & Cassette features) When I installed it, it would power up but not let me listen to it because of the theft feature. I took it to the deler who said he couldn't program it. I still don't know if the dealer was daft or if my truck was missing the datalink wire, but I bought a non-Datalink radio off of ebay for 1/2 the dealer programming cost.

The RDS feature and the Datalink feature are different, but they seem to be incorporated into the same radios. This may be an easy way to tell if you are going to have this problem.

Makes sure the new radios are not Bose radios. A Bose radio will not work in a non-Bose radio. An alternative to this is installing an OEM CD changer, mounted in the trunk.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived