CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Drag Race Results

DJG

A couple of weeks ago I was venting on this website how I could not find anyone to drag race against. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. Every Tuesday evening at Gateway International Raceway near St. Louis they have an open street legal drag race competition where you pay $15 and you can race as many times as you want from 5:30 - 10:30 p.m. I raced 4 times before it started to get too croweded. I have posted my results below. If any one has any suggestions on how to improve my times, please let me know. Also, if any one knows if these results are in line with what I should expect from the 97 STS I would appreciate that information also. I will say that the first part of the track was slippery so traction control came on initially which may have slowed me down somewhat. All 4 race results were almost identical. It should be noted that I did change to a Fram Air Hog on the last race which did not seem to make any difference. Here they are:

Reaction Time: .760 seconds

60 Feet Time: 2.368 seconds

330 Feet Time: 6.651 seconds

1/8 Mile Time: 10.089 seconds

1/8 Mile Speed: 72.23 MPH

1000 Feet Time: 12.982 seconds

1/4 Mile Time: 15.468 seconds

1/4 Mile Speed: 91.91 MPH

Yeah I know the reaction time needs work but considering it was my first time ever I was pretty pleased. Any suggestions on how to decrease these times?

I don't have my time slips here at the office but I think it was about 96 or 97 mph.

As you know the Northstar is extremely weather sensetive. The day I went to the track it was 48 degrees, low humidity and high barometric pressure. Perfect for the Northstar. I run about 14.5-14.6 at 80 degrees.

Traction is the killer at the track(or light to light). I could easily turn the tires BEFORE I got the high stall torque converter, now I only mash the pedal half way and traction control kicks in and shuts me down. My traction control has come on sometimes between 1st & 2nd shifts. I put slicks mounted on light weight aluminum wheels on the front at 22lbs and hard skinny worn tires on aluminum wheels on the back at 45lbs to minamize rolling resistance. I could get better times if I could heat the slicks up before the run and run higher pressure.

I just nail it and I get almost no slippage at all.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

Yea that's one of the things on my to-do list is to completely disable traction control. I haven't had time to follow all the wiring diagrams in the FSM to determine how it works electrically. I don't want to kill my ABS system just to disable it. If that is the case I'll make a toggle switch on the dash that i can disable it with so only at the 'track' i can switch it off.

Archived