CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bigest Rims

pedrazamarcos

I own a 96 Sedan DeVille and I want to buy new 20"Chrome Rims and tires.

Now my question is:What is the Tallest tire size I can Put in the car without meking any modifications?I called a Rim Shop and I was told that 255/35/20 is the bigest I can install without changing nothing.I do not want to install "Low profile tires" rather have the Tallest tire I can put on 20" Rims.It is posible to install 255/45/20 or even 255/55/20 ? I want a tall tire,not low profile.Please lat me know what's the tallest tire I can put on 96 DeVille With 20". :wacko::wacko:

The various charts on the Internet and what the tire shop guy said are calculated to arrive at the same outside diameter and width as original equipment - for which the vehicle was designed.

What a maximum-critical tire diameter/width can be - will be very hard to get any "reasonable" answer. The question is loaded with potential problems...

As you well know - at some larger-than-stock diameter and width, a tire will hit something inside the wheel well. Additional elements that will determine when this damage will occur are:

1. The direction the front tires are turning (both front/rear leading edges and if right/left)

2. The nature of any road impact. Potholes, driveways, etc.

3. The rotational tire speed when it contacts whatever.

The damage might not be limited to some noise and a few rubber marks.

The tire(s) could fail totally (at speed) and result in extensive vehicle damage, accident and if bad enough injuries etc - and possilby including litigation over owner-modifications.

Years ago, my buddy and I put some wide tires and lift-kit on his '65 GTO and it did "look" tough. Trouble is - when he really punched it hard through a couple gears, the rear end lowered and tore into the tires. It didn’t look too tough then - with chrome trim dangling and a flat, shredded tire.

Who would want to say xxx/xx/20 is OK and then be held responsible for some major damage and possibly a very serious accident? :(

Talk to someone who has put even 18" rims on and ask how the rims and tires ride, handle and hold up in general. If they are honest with you and not bragging about "the look", chances are that they will have had some problems (multiply that by a lot with 20" rims). Don't even think about the "theft factor" (no lock kit will stop someone trained, equipped and determined).

This seems to be the classic "style vs function" argument.

Yea, it might look good to you - just don't drive it with the tallest rubber you can stuff in the wheel well... ;)

My $0.02, but its your ride - so good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I hope your not looking for a comfortble ride in that car. Regardless of how tall a tire you get, you will still have a rough ride simply because of the size of the rim. Even though the Cadillac suspension is "squishy" compared to most cars, a lot of it also has to do with the height of the sidewall. That also absorbs the impact from bumps and what not. The bigger the rim, and the shorter the sidewall, the harder the shocks will have to work. Thus resulting in a rougher ride. Just a thought

I own a 96 Sedan DeVille and I want to buy new 20"Chrome Rims and tires.

Now my question is:What is the Tallest tire size I can Put in the car without meking any modifications?I called a Rim Shop and I was told that 255/35/20 is the bigest I can install without changing nothing.I do not want to install "Low profile tires" rather have the Tallest tire I can put on 20" Rims.It is posible to install 255/45/20 or even 255/55/20 ? I want a tall tire,not low profile.Please lat me know what's the tallest tire I can put on 96 DeVille With 20". :wacko::wacko:

Those mentioned sizes aren't available. Check tirerack.com Also those would be way to big for any caddy. Your only option would be 245/40/20 those are 27.7 inches. Stock is 26.5 to 27 inches. I had 245/40 on my 98 STS and it was much more comfortable than the recommended 255/35/20's I had no problem with rubbing when doing full turns.

Archived