CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blown Northstar

ojaieldo

I can't believe I'm writing this, I was really hot rodding my '94 touring coupe this morning, and when I got home, I heard a slight knock, tried to pretend it wasn't , but it is. took i qt. to fill it, and still 25% life left. was pretty quiet at idle, never got hot, but between buildings, could hear the knock, and when accelerating lightly,would start just before shift. I let it run in driveway, now sounds like problem (loud ) under cam cover along with low end knock.Sharper cam area sound comes and goes, the way it sounds, I'm pretty sure it's gone, and forget carbon, it's always wound up.So, I guess I need to know where to get new one I'm near Los Angeles. I guess there is no problem putting newer roller cam engine in "94 if I have it all? HELP!!!

Actually there is a problem trying to put a later model Northstar in your 94'. There were numerous changes between the Northstar generations. The crank sensors were relocated and use different values to tell the computer where the crank is, intakes are different on the later models and their sensors send different types of information for the computer to decipher.

"bbobynski" knows all of the different changes and could explain in far greater detail, but the bottom line is stay with a 93' or 94' engine or you will have a lot of trouble trying to get it to run (if it is even possible).

There may be something on the differences in the archive, if you want to try and search them.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thankyou, I'm sure I would be wise to stick with the "94 '95 and I guesas that's what I'll do, anyone have any more help?? prices? Randall

That would be a 93 or 94 engine, not a 95.

Try going to the link below and send "spyder" a personal message. He just got an engine for his 94' and he may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cadillac Forum

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Well it seems to me that you are already giving up on your engine, have you pulled the cam cover off and had a look? Do a little more checking before you throw in the towel unless you just want a new engine. If the engine is broke I don't think driving it till you can find a good replacement will hurt anything else except maybe getting you stuck along side of the road at some point. I would investigate some more first. One thing that Guru has said to do is take off the oil filter and cut it in half and see if any metal is in the filtered oil this would be the first place that particles would go from a damaged engine and the first place to check. Anything that could cause this kind of knock that is broken would be putting off some kind of metalic particle that you should be able to see in the filter and would let you know that it is something really broken.

Jeff

Good idea on the oil filter, it now sounds like something is thrashing around in the rockers and cam sprockets! I guess if no metal particles, crank could be ok, will pull cover, back side thankyou Randy I can't imagine a northstar just letting go like that////

Hi, I couldn't get "loggedin" to give "spyder" a message, can anyone help me find out where he got his new engine and where, and price (please)?? Randy

I just told him you are looking for him.

I feel for you that your motor has gone awry. I'm sorry if I made you upset, that was not my intention at all. My point was there has to be a better option than spending $4600 for a motor on a '94 car. Maybe rebuild it or find a better price or sell it for parts. Maybe try to find one from a yard w/ low miles that was totalled in the rear. Unless the car has sentimental value to you, I would try to keep in mind what the car could sell for with the new engine and your labor to put it in, and if you could recoup that expense taking into account what you already had invested in it. Unfortunately, most cars are a liability and not an asset. Again I'm sorry!

Oh, man,.I'm sorry too,..I was actually trying to interject a liittle sarcastic humor into an already painful dillema,. I've weighed my options, and wouldn't want to spend that much either, so hope to find a low mileage used motor. My eldo. is cherry, love the color (platinum silver), and just recently replaced anything blemished, along with new pilot sports, ALL new brake system,like new , plus it is a z-rated car!! I think I can get it out myself, so,...... Randy

Archived