CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CD changers in '97 SLS-attn. Jadcock, question...

Flyer

Hello all,

Jadcock, we talked about this subject a little while ago, and now I am investigating further. I have a connector in the trunk with 6/6/4/4 pin connections, but I do not see any way to control a changer from the deck?? :huh: I do not have an auxillary button, or cd button, and when I press the source button, it toggles between tape and radio.

I have found several cd changers online that say they will probably work, but they are 6 disc, not 12, like you said yours was. If I hook a changer up to the connection, will I have a new option to choose CD when I press my source button?

Any input from anyone knowledgeable would be appreciated. :D

Flyer

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I think only the 12disc changer will work and when you have it hooked up, you'll be able to press the source button and toggle between cd, tape, and radio. They always have a bunch of them on ebay.

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Yes, as 98Concours said, the selection will be available once it's connected. It's completely plug-n-play. In fact, if you look at the display on your radio in direct sunlight, you'll probably see a small CD "icon" in the upper left corner of the display. It's never lit unless the changer senses at least one CD in the magazine. And obviously, without a changer, the icon on yours won't be lit. I didn't even realize that little icon was there until I installed the changer and put a magazine full of CDs into the bay.

The head unit will control the changer completely:

Source: selects radio, tape, CD.

>: track search (on both tape and CD).

Seek/Tune: track select, backwards and forwards (on both tape and CD).

Presets 1-6: select CD positions 1-6.

Press and hold Presets 1-6: select CD positions 7-12 (1=7, 2=8, etc).

Tape Eject: move to next CD in the magazine.

All the buttons work in context obviously...in radio mode, the #2 button will select the radio station in the 2nd preset slot. Press Source to select CD mode and the #2 button will select the 2nd disc in the magazine.

The ONLY "weird" operation I've found is the radio/changer has to be powered up BEFORE you install a magazine or it won't read it. I assume this is the same with them all. Can anyone confirm? If I eject the magazine and reinsert it without first at least turning the key to ACCESSORY (to power the radio up), the radio doesn't realize there's a magazine back there. I have to eject the magazine and reinsert it when the radio has power to sense it.

I would only stick with the proper 12-disc changer, especially if you're buying it on eBay, for two reasons. 1) you know it will work properly, if it's not damaged. And 2) you know it'll mount straight into the bracket that's already under the carpet and plug straight in to the harness. If you don't already have the P/N for the changer, I can see if I can find it for you.

Good luck! If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer them. One of these days, I'll write an article on this. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I gotta 96 Deville and I have been wanting to install a CD changer in it but have never had the time. I currently have a 10 disc Sony CD changer. Do I have the connections for a changer in the trunk?

I installed the 12 cd changer awhile back and it works just like 98concours and jadcock described it.

I believe the part # for the player is 25685332.

For the cartridge it's part # 25678545. Jadcock correct me if I'm wrong.

One more thing Jadcock, something isn't right with your changer. I can remove or insert the cartridge with the power off and when the car is started it will play the selected cd. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it plays your cd's.

I gotta 96 Deville and I have been wanting to install a CD changer in it but have never had the time. I currently have a 10 disc Sony CD changer. Do I have the connections for a changer in the trunk?

I THINK so, yes. I know it's there on all the '97 models...possibly on '96 too. To verify, peel back the carpeting on the passenger side rear of the trunk. The harness is probably not far away and the bracket will be welded to the floor. If you find the bracket, I'd say the harness should be there too. May be down in the spare tire well or up further near the rear wheel house.

I installed the 12 cd changer awhile back and it works just like 98concours and jadcock described it.

I believe the part # for the player is 25685332.

For the cartridge it's part # 25678545. Jadcock correct me if I'm wrong.

One more thing Jadcock, something isn't right with your changer. I can remove or insert the cartridge with the power off and when the car is started it will play the selected cd. I wouldn't worry about it as long as it plays your cd's.

I'm sure those P/Ns are correct. I'll check my receipts at home tonight. I guess I won't worry about the power-off loading problem. After I insert the magazine (cartridge), it has to run through them all and check to see which slots have CDs loaded...and it doesn't go through that process if I insert the cartridge with the power off. Oh well...

Archived