CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My EGR valve kicked my ass!

Aurora Rock Star

If I have my egr valve cleaned will it solve the problem of the carbon build up for a while, or should I replace it? I have only had a problem with it a couple of times, it died on two seperate occasions and when it gets low on fuel it can idle kinda rough. I've been told that some carb cleaner and pipe cleaners can solve the problem for a few thousand miles. What do ya say. Is that gonna do it or should I replace the stupid thing?

Explain: "the problem of the carbon build up"

Running rough can be attributed to many systems.

Have you run diagnostics? I assume that the Aurora has the ability to spill its codes, maybe someone will chime in about that

Mike

The more I read your post, the more confused I get. The car stalls when the fuel is low and it runs rough when the fuel is low, OR, it has stalled when the fuel tank is low and it runs rough ALL the time. I also noted the confusion regarding the carbon build-up above. Please clarify

I have had good results by inserting a fine mesh stainless steel screen in the path of the carbon chunks that jam up the EGR valve. There is a company in Chicago that makes an EGR gasket with the screen inserted but I just use the screen out a sink faucet aerator. Ace Hardware, and others, have just the screens available for about a buck, in various diameters. After 2 years with the screen in, I pulled the EGR on my Bravada and there was a little pile of carbon crumbs laying behind the screen. Before the screen, I was cleaning the EGR on a pretty regular basis.

The screens are so thin you can just sandwich them in between the gasket and the EGR body, maybe use a dab of sealant to hold them in place. Worst case, on my ML 320 Mercedes, with TWO EGR valves, I set the screens in Epoxy in the base of the EGR valves.

Most manuals warn against using harsh solvents when cleaning EGR valves lest you disolve something critical in the operating mechanism.

Sounds like a lot of things to me but putting in a screen seems like a futile attempt at fixing the "actual" problem(s). I'm sure it seems like a neat idea but doesn't appear to be the fix in this case. Try things like cleaning the throttle body, changing the fuel filter, checking the plugs and plug wires, and some other simple things. I'm sure your car will run just fine with or without a screen once you find and fix the real problem.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived