CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Map Sensor?

thumpin_caddy

It threw a SES light on my 1994 Eldorado. I diagnosed my machine and got a P080 code (fuel system rich). The car has 87,000 miles on it. I was thinking map sensor. First of all, I need to know how to get to it. Second of all, I'd like to know the board's thoughts on the possible cause of this code. I disconnected the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes, and then ran the car, ses light didn't go out. I disconnected the battery all of last night, and reconnected it, and the ses light came back on. All the codes that came along with the battery being disconnected (p109, P052) were cleared in the diagnostic mode. Anyone have any thoughts?

• 3 years later...

P080 code will set if battery was disconnected before waiting at least thirty seconds after turning vehicle off or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was disconnected prior to waiting at least thirty seconds. Below is a quote taken from GM’s Factory Service Manual:

IMPORTANT:

Key must be ‘OFF’ for a minimum of 30 seconds before disconnecting PCM connectors or battery voltage to allow TP Sensor/Idle Learned values, Transaxle Shift Adapt values, Transaxle Oil Life Index and Cruise Control Lash/Learn to be stored in the EEPROM. Failure to wait 30 seconds may result in EEPROM reset, Code P080 and Transaxle Oil Life Index being reset to 0.

Mac,

That post is over 3 years old.

I just replaced the PCM in my silver Eldorado. And the P080 code is setting so I was searching for info about it and come across this old thread. Since I know something about it I thought I would post some information for anyone who happens to search for P080 in the future.

With respect to the 4.9L engine and Northstar (4.6L) engine, the P080 code has different meanings. For the Northstar, the Factory Manual states the P080 code means there is a "TP SENSOR IDLE LEARN NOT COMPLETE" problem. The P080 code in the 4.9L engine refers to 'FUEL SYSTEM RICH' (See below for information pertaining to 4.9L). There is a specific procedure to remove this code from the Northstar engine as follows (Note: this procedure will work for On-Board Diagnostics 1 (OBD-1) equipped vehicles to 1995. I don't know if it will work for any vehicles after 1995, which are equipped with OBD-2):

1. Turn ignition 'ON' (Engine not running).

2. Enter Diagnostics (Press 'OFF' and 'WARMER' button on Climate Control Panel and hold from 3-5 seconds then release).

3. After Diagnostics cycles through turn the key to the 'OFF' position.

4. Wait a minimum of 20 seconds.

5. For a second time turn the ignition to the 'ON' position (Engine not running).

6. Again, Enter Diagnostics.

7. Again, after Diagnostics cycles through turn the key to the 'OFF' position.

8. Again, wait for a minimum of 20 seconds.

9. For a third time, turn ignition 'ON' (Engine not running).

10. Once again enter Diagnostics.

11. After Diagnostics cycles through turn the key to the 'OFF' position.

12. Again, wait a minimum of 20 seconds.

13. Start the engine.

14. Allow vehicle to idle continuously until the coolant temperature is 80 degrees celcius (about 176-180F), then idle an additional 5 minutes.

15. Then apply brakes and place transaxle in 'DRIVE' range.

16. Turn the Climate Control Center (CCC) to 'OFF' and allow the engine to idle 30 seconds.

17. Then turn the CCC to 'AUTO' and allow the engine to idle for another 30 seconds.

18. Finally, place the transaxle in 'PARK' range and turn ignition to 'OFF'.

After going through this procedure the 'SERVICE ENGINE' light should go off and Diagnostics should state that the P080 trouble code is 'HISTORY'. Before this code was stated as being 'CURRENT'.

I went through this procedure today and it worked.

INFORMATION RELATED TO P080 CODE AND 4.9L ENGINE:

In the 4.9L engine, the purpose of the P080 code is to detect a rich condition in the fuel injection system, or continuous evaporative (EVAP) control canister purge.

1. A rich fuel injection system can be caused by:

A. Leaking injector

B. Faulty fuel pressure regulator

C. Restricted fuel return line

2. Continuous evaporative emission (EVA) control canister purge can be caused by:

A. A leaking purge valve

B. Purge solenoid, circuit or PCM

Archived