CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Air conditioning problem

Arash

Dear all members

I've been smelling smoke in the car while the air condition is on. I'm pretty sure that the system is drawing outside air in to the cabin.Every time I drive closely behind another car I smell it, and when I drive by myself I don't. My dashboard is getting black due to the dirty air. I thought the system is suppose to filter the air somehow or cirulate the inside air. I also automatically run in the ECON mode since my refrigerant is empty. I don't undrestand what is the problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all responses.

You might have an exhaust leak, or as Scotty says, you blower motor might be burning up. The smell of burning electronics is very unique, you'll definitely smell the difference. I think you either have some wiring or the motor itself is burning. You'll know for sure if the motor stops working.

Dan, I definetly agree that the smell of burning electronics is very noticeable. I'm pretty sure that is not the case. This is exactly the smell of car exhaust.The top of the dashboard is smutty and black, and smoke from burning electronocs doesn't leave such trace.

Archived