CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Aftermarket sound system and rear view mirror rattle

I have some subwoofers installed in my 94 deville as well as aftermarket component speakers. The bass keeps making my rearview mirror shake. Anyone know how I could keep it from shaking so much. I'd really like to be able to use it while driving

I have some subwoofers installed in my 94 deville as well as aftermarket component speakers. The bass keeps making my rearview mirror shake. Anyone know how I could keep it from shaking so much. I'd really like to be able to use it while driving

I wouldn't worry about it if use of the subs is more important, when it is time to worry is when you have soooo much bass it causes metal fatigue and stress fractures in the cars bodywork lol!

My stock 03 Deville DHS with Bose system [rear window subwoofer] also shakes the Rearview mirror at loud volumes. Not an unusual problem. I also would like to know if anyone has a practical solution.

I wouldn't worry about it if use of the subs is more important, when it is time to worry is when you have soooo much bass it causes metal fatigue and stress fractures in the cars bodywork lol!

That's coming pretty soon. I'm thinking about upgrading to 3 15" L7 solobarics an wiring them parallel to 2.67 ohm. I use monoblock amplifiers. I have 2 12" L7 solobarics wired down to 1 ohm as of now

That's coming pretty soon. I'm thinking about upgrading to 3 15" L7 solobarics an wiring them parallel to 2.67 ohm. I use monoblock amplifiers. I have 2 12" L7 solobarics wired down to 1 ohm as of now

Lower the bass!

This will always be a problem because the mirror is mounted on a glass windscreen (windshield for our American friends ;) ), glass being a hard reflective surface for sound waves is always going to resonate the mirror because the mirror is mounted to that reflective surface.

Being an ex high-end audio distributor (home audio) I could explain the lengths that serious audiophiles go to to isolate loudspeakers and install elaborate acoustic treatments to ensure there are no unwanted resonances in their listening room. Problem with car audio is that you are listening to music in one of the worst possible environments.

I think the only way you could improve the mirror is by using a different thicker noise absorbing sticky pad to mount the mirror to the glass, but whether such a thing exists I don't know. Another tip could be to fabricate a small metal bar that affixes to the lower arm of the mirror and is angled up towards the roof liner of the car, idea being that the bar is just long enough so that it presses slightly into the roof liner, this could act as a damping device.

Archived