CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tire size

burekv

I was thinking of putting 225/50/R16's on my STS. Since the car calls for 225/60/R16 will putting on the lower profile cause any problems?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, speedometer will be way off, suspension will not know how to act as all sensors will be out of whack. You may be able to get away with 255/50/16s, but not 225/50s. You will need to go to a larger rim if you want lo profile(harsher ride) without affecting the suspension and speedometer too much. I went with 235/50/18s on my car and it was within tenths of inches from stock so I did not need any other mods.

With the 225/50 tires on 16 inch rims you will have a diameter that is about 7% smaller diameter. That will translate into 7% error on your speedometer and odometer and could affect your ABS, ride control and so on. It would be best to change the rims and tires together to maintain the original wheel diamter. Ben's choice of 235/50's on 18 inch rims only about 2% different from factory. That is a more acceptable margin and a 235/45 R18 would be even better.

Try the link below to see what the differences are between tire sizes.

245/50 17 would work, but you would need to buy a new set of rims.

Tire Size Calculator

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I am using 225-50-16 tires on my 95 seville without any odd affects on the suspension. The speedometer is off by approximately 2 mph. However, I do get better acceleration off the line due to the effect of the smaller tires lowering the gear ratio.

Anyone try a 255-55-16? Kumho makes one designed for SUV's called the ECSTA STX. It looks to be very close in overall diameter, with nice looking tread pattern... just wondering if it would hit the strut towers? The STS is a heavy car so they should work well. I am thinking they should fit as Tire Rack sells a 17" upgrade in a 255-50-17.

• 2 years later...

Archived