CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I've recently been seeing a "Check Coolant Level" message on my DIC occasionally when I first crank my car up in the morning. It'll stay on for no more than two minutes and then go away. The temperature gauge on the instrument panel never goes past the halfway mark once the engine warms up. I put about half a gallon of AutoZone's generic equivalent of DexCool into it about a week ago and I haven't gotten the message since. The engine also isn't running any warmer or cooler than before, although the AC seems to be blowing a little cooler, go figure. Any idea what would cause that message? Is it just a phantom sensor glitch or an indication of something serious? When I check the trouble codes, I get nothing related to the engine at all, just a history code for a sticky AC blend door.

Another semi-related question: I was cleaning out my shed the other day and came across a partial jug of Mopar antifreeze that a former girlfriend of mine had had for her PT Cruiser. Looking into the black plastic jug, the liquid appears to be orange in color. Is it similar enough to DexCool to safely use in my Caddy or should I find a Chrysler owner to give it to?

The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground--and miss!

--Douglas Adams Life, The Universe, and Everything

caddyplate.jpg

I've recently been seeing a "Check Coolant Level" message on my DIC occasionally when I first crank my car up in the morning.... I put about half a gallon of AutoZone's generic equivalent of DexCool into it about a week ago and I haven't gotten the message since.

Sounds like the coolant level sensor was telling the truth; the coolant level was low.

....came across a partial jug of Mopar antifreeze....should I find a Chrysler owner to give it to?

Give it to a Chrysler owner.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I agree with Jim. Sounds like a leak. Dried Dex leaves a telltale chalky whitish residue. Radiator side tanks and the surge tank are common leak points. Especially the purge line nipple on the surge tank.

Archived