CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hydrolocked

CaddyShack24

Hurricane charley dumped a little rain over here.. i found it, was driving about 5-10 mph and went into a puddle. motor stalled out and we pushed it to the house. Took off the air filter which was soaked and the spark plug wires.. saw some water in #8 and #1 . tried getting all that out. little water on the throttle body. whatcha think? is it locked up? should i file an insurance claim? i heard about maybe it bent a rod or something but i dont think i was going fast enough. also maybe a wet MAF sensor. and to take the spark plugs out and try to crank it. eeeek im screwed help? .. i sunk maybe a foot, water came to the bottem of the door jam.. another inch and it woulda been in the car.

How did the air filter get soaked? kinda weird.. IT depends on HOW it stalled out.. If it was instant and real jerky than yea it might have locked but if it just kind of died and coasted then it might not be so bad. Can you turn it over with the starter? what happens when you try and start it? If you are really concerned take all the plugs out and then crank the starter and see what happens.

Hurricane charley dumped a little rain over here.. i found it, was driving about 5-10 mph and went into a puddle. motor stalled out and we pushed it to the house. Took off the air filter which was soaked and the spark plug wires.. saw some water in #8 and #1 . tried getting all that out. little water on the throttle body. whatcha think? is it locked up? should i file an insurance claim? i heard about maybe it bent a rod or something but i dont think i was going fast enough. also maybe a wet MAF sensor. and to take the spark plugs out and try to crank it. eeeek im screwed help? .. i sunk maybe a foot, water came to the bottem of the door jam.. another inch and it woulda been in the car.

A foot does not sound deep enough to cause a problem, but that you saw water is not good. Bigfoo raises some good questions. I went through a foot of water last winter and was fine. It came up on me really fast on an off ramp, three other cars were stuck, I was lucky. Good Luck to you, this was a bad and non-typical storm that was destructive and unpredictable.. I hope you just got wet and stalled, Mike

heyya, well it sorta sputtered like it wasnt getting any air.. but you just provoked a thought. You know how the air filter is sitting on the air intake which is sorta low. That would be submerged and when the engine went to pull in some oxygen it sucked in some water.. i think thats how it got wet .. or it was the force of the car pushing the water and forcing it up the air duct. So when it couldnt get any air, i think it stalled. So it might just be in the ignition system. thats a relief, or atleast for now.. im over here stressing how ill afford 4k for a new engine (i think its better than a rebuilt)

havnt had a chance to mess with the starter or try the spark plug relief yet.. dark and wet out. gonna check my battery too .. the car wont hold a charge and barly had enough juice to get the windows up. i did throw some cables at it and got 13.2 volts with a healthier sounded 'click' .. but im prepared for next time, learnt alot fro this so far.

did you know they make spark plugs specifcally to avoid hydrolocked engines? the little seal breaks away under pressure. or that cold air intakes suffer from hydrolock the most. thanks bigfoo

Even if you got some water in it wouldn't damage the engine, especially at low rpms.. The air filter will do a good job of making sure a ton of water doesn't rush in unless the entire air intake was submerged which i seriously doubt.. It sounds more like you got air starved plus water in the ignition plus water in the alternator plus water in the..well, everywhere it shouldn't be.. Open the hood, let it dry out for a while, charge it up and try and start it

Pull out all eight plugs the remove the oil filler plug. Crank the engine with the starter. Excess water if any will be pushed out the plug holes.

Is there water in the oil?

From posts by Guru I know the ability of the intake to reject high water levels is pretty good.

I agree with bigfoo & Steve. Probably just air starved but don't take a chance. Pull the plugs, crank it over then put the plugs back in a light it up.

blew it out.. no water came out from the plug holes. Rear bank was perfetly dry, which makes since because i went into the puddle nose down. also shows that i didnt take on to much water. front bank, cylinder 8 had a little rust on the spark plug.. very little. which is closest to the TB / intake. also.. other end, cylinder #2 showed signs of light water. (rain drop or two)

i added a cap of oil to each cylinder to re-lube things. started her up, still had the knocking sound.. pretty darn loud. other than that i think she's alright.

This sound sounds like its coming from the right lower half of the engine. Something feels like its holding the engine back. robbing it of power. The lights kinda dim along with the noise.. it set two codes related to out of range voltage (16+ volts)

P016 - Generator voltage out of range

sets if ignition voltage goes below 10 volts or with engine running, reachs 16+ volts

I042 - Battery voltage to high

16+ volts for more than 2 seconds.

so my question is.. anything electrical that could make a knock sound while feeding juice into a circuit? alternator is the only thing i can think of. help me out here fellas :) .. or anything you can think of? im gonna go check some fuses

maybe some ignition componant shorted out?

would the stater make that noise ?

i thnk the noise and the voltage prob are one in the same.. might be wrong

Did you warm it up REALLY good? If not let it run for a long time to really warm it up and dry everything out. It sounds like your alternator took on some water and is still wet. There is a circuit board in there I wonder if something on the board could have blown being submerged. How about using a hair dryer and drying out the alternator really good. Mike

heyya scotty, yeah man.. i was to scared to run the car soundind like that. figured i could either replace a rod or. Figured i didnt have to much to lose, fired her up and went dwn the interstate. not even 5 minutes and the voltage problem went away.

the knocking lighten up and gained some power, not fully but enough to make me realise shes recovering. As far as the knocking, looks like he crankshaft is wobbling, it was before this.. but maybe the water got in there and ate away the grease. tagged it with some liquid wrench and ill get that replaced. niiice

thanks fellas :D

the crazy thing was it showed i had 16 volts, few seconds later said battery no charge.

race ya :P

heyya scotty, yeah man.. i was to scared to run the car soundind like that. figured i could either replace a rod or. Figured i didnt have to much to lose, fired her up and went dwn the interstate. not even 5 minutes and the voltage problem went away.

the knocking lighten up and gained some power, not fully but enough to make me realise shes recovering. As far as the knocking, looks like he crankshaft is wobbling, it was before this.. but maybe the water got in there and ate away the grease. tagged it with some liquid wrench and ill get that replaced. niiice

thanks fellas :D

the crazy thing was it showed i had 16 volts, few seconds later said battery no charge.

race ya :P

Are you talking about the crank pulley wobbling?

Archived