CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 STS

pats37

When I bought my STS off the lot in '98 the salesman told me that top speed with 'H' rated tires was 130mph and with 'Z' rated tires 150mph.

How is this determined? By a different chip or reprogramming. According to dealer they have no listing for speed chips.

It's determined by the VIN placed into the PCM. Mine is H rated and I had it at 130 and i think a few higher and it didn't cut me off or maybe it did i'm not sure because I let off the gas right there heh. 130 is fast, especially not in a straight line.

bigfoo,

So the top speed is determined at the factory. I'm assuming then that it cant be changed if you were to put 'Z' rated tires on later.

I have never had it up to 130mph even on a straight road and dont have a burning desire to test its limits either, was just curious.

I did, however, outrun a cop about 3 years ago but never went past 119mph. I exited quickly and took backroads home. Love that Stabilitrak!

Pat

Haha.. yea, the PCM knows the VIN and the only way to change the top speed is to reprogram the pcm with another VIN , or have someone reprogram the whole thing which is something i'm working on for more power and such :) the newer ones such as mine and yours are using a pcm that has a lot of different chips so in order for someone to make a programmer for it they would have to support many different chip types which is a real pain in the butt. the older one used almost all the same one, plus they used removable proms.

Cadi can change it with their computer but will only do it to the rating on the tires and it does cost a bit. :huh:

I have never heard of any dealer who was actually willing to change the speed limiter. While I suppose it is possible, most dealers would be afraid of any liability associated with this action.

Several years ago, I purchased a Hypertech Power Programmer from Hypertech and reprogarmmed my 94 Trans Am. Was able to change many of the settings including the top speed. I'm not sure if they make a chip or programmer for the Cadillac. I have had my DTS to 130 in the Mojave Desert when the limiter kicked-in.

I'm not sure if they make a chip or programmer for the Cadillac.

For OBD-II and later Cadillacs, that's a big negative, unfortunately. XMS can't even release their supercharger because they can't figure out the Cadillac computer code, allegedly.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The code is relatively simple, it's the flash programming of the PCM that is the hard part. There is no standardization on the method to do this and many cars have different pcms. THe problem is that you could fry the flash and not get it back if you don't do it right so you have to have the specs of every single pcm for all the models and years and be able to detect that before you flash it or it could render it unusable. It's the hardware that is the problem, not really the code.. If I was going to put in a supercharger, i'd be willing to go with a stand alone pcm to control only the engine. Maybe someone can make an inline pcm that sends good signals to the factory one (just so you don't get a ton of codes) and then does all the control itself.

Archived