CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Courtesy Lights

rek

I hope this doesn't goof on the "Protocol" too bad, but maybe someone here can advise. Today my Wife took her 92 Riviera/42K miles out for a drive. As she left, I noticed the courtesy lights were still on. She returned after about 5 minutes and they were still on. I pressed the plunger type switch (door jam),the lights were still on. The switch is completely covered in rubber. It didn't feel like there was any ice in it (Smooth action). I "side stepped" it. Still the lights stayed on. I checked the dash switch to see if it was in the courtesy lights on position, nope, it wasn't. This switch also controls the brightness of the digital dash. I started it up, and manually turned on the headlights(it has twilight sentinal, but it was daylight). I slid the switch to the courtesy light on position and noticed the brightness of the digital dash didn't change. I've never messed with that switch during daylight driving conditions, so I don't know if the brightness can be changed in daylight. So, what do you think is wrong, the door switch, the slide switch, the twilight switch?

rek

• 5 months later...

I have this problem also.. It just started last night...

I am new to the forum... I have been lurking and reading for a few months now since I got my '93 Eldorado.

Did anyone ever find a fix for the courtesy lights staying on?

Thanks in advance and nice meeting everyone.

CoZmos.

The "Fix" for me was a new switch (Door jamb one). I don't know why the old one went bad because it was sealed in rubber. My old 84 Chevy one's are still working just fine and they're as basic as they get...

rek

Thanks Rec,

On this '93 there's not a switch in the door jam... I think it's in the Handle.

I called the stealer and they said it's probably a short or something and said it could get quite expensive to sus it out.

I'm sure it's in some part of the "lighted entry". I pulled the fuses for now for the courtesy lights and at least I can still drive it.

I love this car.... sheesh.

Whatever.

OK, Thanks for answering. I'll put the fix on here, once I have it fixed.

CoZmos

Do you have a courtesy lamp relay in the trunk compartment relay center? Maybe it's spent. The previous fix was on the Riviera. I just looked at my Eldo and you're right, I didn't see any switch like on the Riviera.

rek

I hope this doesn't goof on the "Protocol" too bad, but maybe someone here can advise. Today my Wife took her 92 Riviera/42K miles out for a drive. As she left, I noticed the courtesy lights were still on. She returned after about 5 minutes and they were still on. I pressed the plunger type switch (door jam),the lights were still on. The switch is completely covered in rubber. It didn't feel like there was any ice in it (Smooth action). I "side stepped" it. Still the lights stayed on. I checked the dash switch to see if it was in the courtesy lights on position, nope, it wasn't. This switch also controls the brightness of the digital dash. I started it up, and manually turned on the headlights(it has twilight sentinal, but it was daylight). I slid the switch to the courtesy light on position and noticed the brightness of the digital dash didn't change. I've never messed with that switch during daylight driving conditions, so I don't know if the brightness can be changed in daylight. So, what do you think is wrong, the door switch, the slide switch, the twilight switch?

Hey guys, been there, done this on my '92 STS...Here's the link to the FAQ's (from the home page here) on this subject, with the repair procecures:

http://www.caddyinfo.com/howtorapie.htm

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived