CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trans help please

CustomGTP

hey guys I am debating matting two different transmissions up to my Northstar when I get it. Here are the two gear ratios..

--The manual 6 speed has a 2.66 first gear, 1.78 second gear, 1.3 third gear, 1.0 fourth gear, 0.74 fifth gear, and a 0.50 sixth gear ratio...final drive 3.42:1

--The manual 5 speed has 3.37 first gear, 1.99 second gear, 1.33 third gear, 1.00 fourth gear, and a 0.67 fifth gear....final drive 3.27:1

Help me out on which one would benefit the motor the most and efficiently

Thanx guys

No contest -- I'd go with the 5-speed. Except for 1st gear (which is deeper on the 5-sp), the ratios are very similar, and that 6th gear will be useless with your Northstar. Even the 5th gear on the 5-speed is pretty tall, but it'll handle it easily. Summary: the 5-speed has a better first gear (IMHO) and doesn't waste the double OD gear like the 6-sp does. Easy choice.

Are you putting a Northstar into a Grand Prix?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I like the 5 speed setup myself.... Hmmmm

RWD Grand Prix

Grand National rear end, 3.42 Posi rear susp.

Northstar motor

Tremec 3650 5 speed/ T56 WS6 6 speed (leaning more towards the 5 sped myself)

F-body front susp.

headers

ported intake

straigh pipes

Shes gonna roar!!!!

Cool. So actually, you'll have a 3.42 rear end behind that 5-sp, not the 3.27 from the first post? There was an article long ago in PHR maybe where a guy put a Northstar engine into an '84 Hurst/Olds. I think he kept the automatic transmission in it. Are you custom fabbing up a Z-bar and clutch system, or are you getting it out of another straight drive G-body (like a 78-80 model)?

sorry the rear end I have is the 3.42. The two final gear ratios that I stated were for the transmissions themsleves. :) gotta run -Ill explain more later

Okay, I don't get it. :) In my dictionary, the "final drive ratio" IS the axle ratio, or the ratio between the ring and pinion gear in the drive differential, wherever that might be located (FWD transmission, or live axle in the rear, etc).

So in your case, with the G80 axle out of the GN, the final drive ratio is 3.42:1, no matter what transmission you use. It gets somewhat confusing (to me), because some magazines actually multiply the axle ratio with the top gear ratio and call THAT the "final drive ratio". I usually just refer to the "axle ratio" or "gear ratio". :)

Sounds like a cool project.

Archived