CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

replaced power steering pump, Now no steering at all?

I replaced my pump today due to a bad bearing in the pump on my 96 seville sls.. After I replaced it with a new unit, the steering was completly gone.. I would rev up the motor and it would get better, at idle nothing... After turning the wheel back and forth for hours, and driving it with some WOT, it compeletly lost power steering.. Could I have damaged the rack or could it just be a bad pump? I am completly out of ideas.. before the pump replacement steering was completly normal and free...

If you replaced it with a re-manufactured unit, it could be bad out of the box.

I recently replaced mine with a re-manufactured Cardone. Within 2 weeks, it died completely. The Cardone's come with a lifetime warranty. No problem whatsoever getting a replacement immediately from O'Reily. Only wasted my time to R&R the pump again.

I replaced my pump today due to a bad bearing in the pump on my 96 seville sls.. After I replaced it with a new unit, the steering was completly gone.. I would rev up the motor and it would get better, at idle nothing... After turning the wheel back and forth for hours, and driving it with some WOT, it compeletly lost power steering.. Could I have damaged the rack or could it just be a bad pump? I am completly out of ideas.. before the pump replacement steering was completly normal and free...

Also, make sure that the belt is not slipping on the power steering pulley.

There is also a very slight possiblity that the pulley is slipping on the spindle, due to sizing differences between the pulley and pump spindle.

But these are longshots, it's likely that you have a bad replacement pump.

Archived