CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need more bass!

Grebus

Any suggestions for getting more bass out of the stock Delphi RDS CD/Cassette unit (11 speakers) in my '99 Concours? Can I add another amp or different speakers while still staying with the stock system? Thanks.

you can probably split an amp into the wires going to the main rear speakers. I think what you need is called a hi-lo filter(?). I added an amp and subs to my 93 STS and left everything else stock. Any decent stereo shop should be able to do it and it shouldn't cost too much.

Just a word of information: a lot of police and fire departments have been reporting car fires due to the installation of high power amplifiers. Seems the wiring in some cars can't handle it, the wires overheat and the cars burn. Use caution.

11 Speakers and you need MORE? I'll bet you're got some undiagnosed hearing loss, which usually begins at the low and high ends of human hearing frequency and then eventually drifts down toward the mid frequencies later on. Easy does it on those ears. They're the only ones you've got. ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Marika I know that 11 speakers is certainly enough! But I don't really need more speakers or more volume, it's just that the bass level isn't enough for my taste sometimes. I usually don't blast myself out in terms of volume, but it seems like I could use a little more power.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, Marika I know that 11 speakers is certainly enough! But I don't really need more speakers or more volume, it's just that the bass level isn't enough for my taste sometimes. I usually don't blast myself out in terms of volume, but it seems like I could use a little more power.

I would suggest, if you really feel you need more bass, to just switch to different speakers and forget about installing additional amps. The best speakers have a range equal to the human hearing range which is from "20 to 20". Good bass speakers can go below 20 but you won't hear it, you'll feel it.

The best test for a sound system is to pick up a CD with a LARGE church organ recording (not playing church music, but classical music, such as Bach). You may laugh, but the pipe organ has the widest dynamic range of all musical instruments and can produce sound pressure levels that will literally shake a large building, such as a cathedral. I have one CD that's organ music recorded from the great organ located in Atlantic City, which happens to be the largest in the world. There's a warning on the CD advising the listener to use caution when listening to the CD since the sound levels attained by the organ can damage Hi-Fi equipment, especially, speakers.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

this is not that hard of a task to do. Keep the bose and everything stock like it is. Get yourself a shop manual and find out where the low level outputs go into the reciever. If this is still in the trunk by the antenna motor it is very easy access. Simply splice two Rca cables into the LR and RR speakers and run them to an amplifier. Put two 10's or 8's or 12's in the trunk (however much bass you want). If you want to know more about this send me a msg. I did it perfecty in my 94 sts. Everything stock, just an amp and two mean 12" subs in the trunk. I also hooked up external bass control ( a knob that turns bass on and off). It is not too bad of a job to do, you just have to splice into the right wires. If you tap in the high level side like epluzy said, it will not be as clean at all.

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Archived