CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

squeek

JACK

99 STS- HAVE SLIGHT SQUEEK FROM LEFT FRONT OF VEHICLE GOING OVER SPEED BUMPS OR OTHER BUMPS OR DIPS IN ROAD. SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE COMING FROM STRUT AREA BUT CAN'T BE SURE, HAVE HAD CAR IN AIR AND CANNOT PHYSICALLY SEE ANYTHING. DOES NOT MAKE NOISE WHEN PUSHING UP AND DOWN ON FENDER. WOULD RATHER NOT START REPLACING PARTS WITHOUT IDENTIFING EXACT PROBLEM FIRST. I KNOW THIS IS QUITE VAGUE BUT ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

• 1 month later...

pop open the hood, pry off the rubber caps over the struts and I betcha they are broken. The large nut should be perfectly centerred. I spent around 600 for labvor and pts for a entire new unit on each side, and I will tell you that your car will handlelike new when you do the job. Its a good fix well worth the money. If youdont fix them, it will become alarmingly worse.

Hi Jack,

Yes you are a little vague but it doesn't sound like anything serious unless the car is actually driving strange. If everything seems normal except for the squeek sound then my guess would be a bushing somewhere. The bushing(s) is probably drying out or wearing out. Spray some silicone spray (not WD-40) on any bushing you can locate in the effected area and take a short drive to see if the squeek is still present. Sometimes a little silicone goes a long way. Report back and let us know what you come up with.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Ahaha.. my car does the EXACT same thing.. it 'chirps' when going over very instantaneous type bumps like pavement changing from one height to another instantly. Man every other thing people have posted about their 99 STS on these forums, mine has done.. they seem extremely consistent in the things that they screw up on (the 99's) .. I just had all new struts put on about a year ago too from the dealer still under warranty (well, right as the warranty was ending). I don't notice any driveability concerns or anything like that .. it's just odd. I can hear it even more if i'm under a bridge or overpass and i hit a bump .. kind of hard to hear otherwise. hard to reproduce effetively. It doesn't do it on speed bumps or potholes going slow.. only about 35mph+ instant level change say hitting a 1" increase in pavement height like what you see at the edge of your garage but going 40mph

Well i determined it's coming from the rear. I found a parking lot with very sharp speed bumps and went over them at 10mph and it's coming from my rear susp. so time to jack it up and check it out...... anyone know any place that makes polyurethane bushings for this or going back with OEM is the only choice?

Ok this may help some of you. I just had my car in for several things (coolant drain and fill, LOF....heavy on the lube, rear brake cleaning.... pads were sticking on one side, EGR canister clean, and the creaking sound you guys are talking about.

My sound was isolated to the front but used to be in the back as well. A couple months back we pulled off the black plastic ride sensor (or is it ride leveler?) and cleaned (sandpaper) both upper and lower ball and socket joints, lubed well with grease and popped them back on. No more annoying sounds from the rearend over bumps. So at todays trip to the garage the remaining front sensor was done. Now they all swivel back and forth freely and no more sounds.

I can't tell how much of a joy it was to cruise around today in a caddy that has over 209,000 miles and with NO squeaks or creaks.

I'm still getting the PO36 code during hard WOT but getting less frequent. Hopefully tomorrow's drive will cure that for good. Had a pretty good amount of crud on the EGR canister when it was being cleaned. I have a very short drive to work and I've been slacking off doing some hard WOT after work. I was/am getting lazy. Now it's back to "work".

I say "we" did this and that but my mech does 99% of the work while I flap my gums. :rolleyes:

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived