CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

mice. . . again

SteveJ

We were traveling to the mall when at a stop we smelled something burning as if a restaurant had burned the food. At the next light we smelled something like burning straw or toasting coffee beans. Now we knew it was us but the smell wasn’t even remotely like any car smell I ever knew of. Mentally I started thinking of the fire extinguisher in the trunk.

Later at home I found mouse poop on top of the air cleaner so I knew the rodent problem had returned. It took a while but I found dry cat food pellets stored neatly in a small pocket of the exhaust manifold. About half were toasted black. It probably would have taken a couple weeks to cook them all.

Any of you guys with the 4.9 engine may wish to take notice of the small dish like depression between the runners of the front exhaust manifold. It holds about a quarter cup of cat food. But for this problem I would never have seen the depression.

Sounds like they have spread the word. Drop food here and the nice man will have it cooked for you when he returns.

Replace the cat food with a cat. Just chain him to your air cleaner. Don't forget to remove him when you leave or you'll have fried cat. Then again, I've heard they taste like chicken. :lol:

This is an easy fix. Take some small moth balls and place them in a black dress sock, and tie to a cool part of engine compartment. This should take care of mice or rats. If you don't ,the next thing will be your primary wires, they love to bite into these.

My Dad who lives in Columbus Ohio has had same problem with mice getting undre the hood of his Buick. They did chew threw a bunch of hoses and wires. Try the moth balls, he too says it works.

sebring06RTP.jpg

. . . you'll have fried cat. Then again, I've heard they taste like chicken.

What you never ate in a Chinese restaurant?

I spent the night with three mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Guess that will work better than the cat the food was intended for. I thought I had him on retainer. Seems he feels he is on welfare.

moth balls sounds nice and clean. I have used cayenne pepper sprinkled around too, they hate to get that stuff on there feet and then in the nose and mouth while grooming. I also buy the large size at costco or sams club and use it in my front yard to keep the Sh#@@ing cats away, they too don't like the taste and smell.

Jeff

Ejheheh.. When I lived in Florida, had several baked lizards inside my engine before. and many cats flying out of the engine compartment when i started up. Of course it was on a car with some major room under the hood and not my STS so 3 or 4 cats could sleep in there :) Wonder what makes them do that.. I can see if it's really cold outside and the engine is warm.. but why lizards? :)

Archived