CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1/2 way through solenoid repair...couple questions

acklac7

Ok I got the valve body out and I am about to replace the solenoids (already got directions from JBuckley...thanks a million) I can see that one of the solenoids is cracked...but the other solenoid is appears to be fine. Im assuming that it can still be broke although it is not visible while still attached to the valve body? Also I drove it in 2 on the highway for about 10 minutes and then checked the trans. fluid and it was foaming at the top....is this normal/ok? Is it ok to just add 8 quarts or should I drop the plug and change all of the fluid (I changed the fluid 7000 miles ago :( ) thanks

A.J.

Your solenoid kit should have both solenoids, do yourself a favor and change out both whether the other one looks broke or not. As far as driving in 2nd for 10 min., I drove for about 2 weeks in 2nd before I changed my solenoids and if anything it cleaned the engine out. If you just changed all the tranny fluid 7000 miles ago I would just replace the 8 quarts or so to refill and not worry about the rest. Good Luck. :D

Do what Paul T advises, replace both solenoids while you are there, and make sure you put the new bracket in, that bracket helps to keep the soleoids locked in place if I am not mistakened. I drove mine for about 3 months with only 2nd, no problems, just refill with the proper type of ATF fluid and make sure to clean or repalce your filters.

John

John

Archived