CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

radiator cap source of problem?

Up to speed: my new motor still leaks coolant into the oil. Okay, about a week ago I replaced the intake gasket and ran it. it did okay for a while I think, and then I got out and checked it at 20 miles and same thing... coolant resorvoir was going empty.

I got to thinking that I still had my stock rad cap. I don't know if it's ever been changed. If the motor was fine, and the cap was stuck closed, what would be the first place to go? Would an old stuck cap even cause gasket failure? I know that it's been running a little too warm also. (200-210*)

your temp reading is fine, i would get a pressure test kit and pressurize the cooling system to 15 psi and see if it holds pressure if it doesn't and the leak is external you should be able to find it.At least this way you know wear to look.

Did you add three pellets of the engine coolant supplement sealant GM P/N3634621 to the lower radiator hose ? If you did not these engines will leak PERIOD :blink: If you did add it to you"re engine then I would drain the coolant again pull the bottom hose off an add five pellets maybe six? Also change the oil and filter and for the money put a new cap on.If things keep going the way they are you're going to spin a bearing :angry: I hope this helps you solve this frustrating problem.

Archived