CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Lubricating CV Joints

JohnnyG

On rare occasions, such as when turning left with the load on the right wheel, I feel a slight roughness in the driveline. The noise is not too bad, and I feel it more in the steering wheel, I don't think the passenger would even be aware of it. Anyway, I purchased some CV joint grease, the real stuff, NLGI #1 w/high moly and extra tack. I am planning on peeling back the boots and injecting some of this lube into the cv joints. This would also allow me to see if there is any water leakage into the boot and check the condition of it (visually). Any thoughts on this plan? Would you do it?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

What is your opinion of the two part aftermarket boot? I think they are inferior for the most part, but I need a backup plan in case I do find a damaged boot or damage one myself. The grease should be correct, unless Caddy specs something different than most other mans.

I DO know this much, I had a car once with independent rear suspension, RWD, and had a terrible noise from the CV. Banging clanging, you name it, particularly on a hard right....coming from the RR CV. Took it apart to rebuild it and it looked pretty good, good boot, not too dry, etc. Couldn't see any visible defect so I regreased her and slapped it back together...was fine for at least three years until I sold it.

Keep in mind that my '99 only has 50,000 on it, so I don't expect servere wear, just can't think of any other cause for this slight noise.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived