CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Timing Chain problem?

acklac7

I was reading the service manual and happened to come across the section about timing chain and sprocket noises. It says that the most common noise is a high frequency light knocking sound. I think I have noticed something like this, its like a loud high pitched (REALLY high pitched) ringing sound, but it only occurs at certain times (mainly at start up and shortly after) I mentioned it to the dealer about 2.5 years ago and they said they couldn't find anything....but I have reason to belive they are incompetent.....any ideas? also I when I am in park I put my hands on the steering wheel and I can feel a "thud thud ..........thud thud ...........thud thud .....is this a knock? If so its been around for a while....and I have had a deep carbon cleaning done twice so I don't think its carbon build up...thanks.

A.J.

Thanks Guru, I will check tommorow for the problems you listed....also wanted to run something by you....Last time I inspected the belt tensioner/belt I noticed that when I tightend the bolt on the tensioner it got real tight, but kept turning, It seemed like the treads may have been stripped...if the threads are stripped would this present a problem? thanks

A.J.

Last time I inspected the belt tensioner/belt I noticed that when I tightend the bolt on the tensioner it got real tight, but kept turning, It seemed like the treads may have been stripped...if the threads are stripped would this present a problem? thanks

My threads are stripped too. Takes VERY LITTLE to strip those threads! I was tightening slowly with a 1/4" drive ratchet, and thought I was just turning through some grime in the threads, but I think the threads stripped. It's been that way for over a year and close to 20k miles probably with no issues.

If Guru recommends using a tap and a larger bolt, I'll probably "fix" mine.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived