CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

driving in "2" gear

acklac7

Just an update...about a week ago my b solenoid went bad, yesterday my a solenoid decided to go as well....I plan to fix them both soon, but would still like to drive my car in the mean time. Is it ok to drive in "2" (this is the only gear not affected by the solenoids) as long as I keep it from revving to high (below 3500 rpm). I was told I could drive it in "3", then the "a" solenoid went bad. Can I keep it in "2" around the city? do I risk any damage to the power train in doing so? thanks for your help

A.J.

The engine can run at 5000 rpm all day as long as it doesn't overheat. I think you would attract a little attention cruising at 50mph at 4000 rpm or something but it won't hurt it. Just watch the temp. In fact it might like it :> clean out the engine and cat

I drove around in 2nd gear at 4000 rpm or was it 4500.. like 52 mph or so for a long period of time just for the hell of it and I couldn't even tell the engine was spinning that fast except for the noise. It was almost smoother cruising at 4000 rpm than it was at 2000 rpm. Watched the temps and they didn't change and it was 90+ outside. I don't think the engine really cares .. maybe 6000 rpm for a long period might heat it up :)

Archived