CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

coolant in water

:( i just changed the oil in my brand new motor. 200 miles under my belt and the oil was runny and green looking. my coolant resorvoir was empty. i give up. what's the deal?

oh noooooooooo....... do u have an oil cooler in the radiator? probably not but just checking. what motor is it? Trying to think of how coolant could get into oil.

oil lines run into the radiator. 4.9. this is bad. i liken it to adding about 50,000 miles of wear to a new motor.

no wasn't that milky... well kinda was. it very thin and the stuff in the oil filter was kinda green looking. i was running a little warm. i have a 180* t-stat and was running about 186 going 55 and about 210 around town.

no warranty. i bought it from a gm surplus store (engines direct of phoenix) on ebay. no warranty if purchased on ebay. sometimes paying extra for the warranty (buying it directly throught them, not an auction) isn't worth it, and sometimes.....

ttt

thanks Guru. i'm gonna call the company and pressurize the system. (but not at the same time:))

do you think there could have been enough damage in 200 miles to try for another motor or am I okay?

I've got a couple more opinions of diagnosis, and everybody quickly thought that it was the intake gasket on those "cadillac aluminum blocks", that they sometimes aren't well "sealed" from the manuf.

how do i fix it, assuming this is the problem? does anything need to be machined? what gasket do I need to get? how do i "seal it up? how do I keep this from happening again?!

what if there is water/coolant in dist? how do I get it out? turkey baster? haha any other precautions other than above mentioned?

All I can think of is pull the intake/heads and check the gaskets.. How could there possibly be coolant in the distributor? :) That would be very weird. At the least, the place you bought it from should be able to give you new gaskets/heads/whole engine, etc. to fix this. I would be very pissed at the place I got it from and rip them a new one

No, No, not water in the distributor, water on the distributor drive gear.

"Before I would run it again I would at least pull the distributor and check the wear on the distributor gear. Coolant in the oil will deplete the oil rapidly of it's anti-wear additive package and cause wear at the high load points....like the distributor gear."

i re-read the auction, and it definitely states that there is no warranty with engine bought through ebay auction. i knew that when i bought it...

I started tearing into it today. i took of the lower rad hose to drain coolant. it was greenish/brown, but mostly green. after it settled, there were "rainbows" on top? a little oil in the coolant? Could that be from the rebuild or ??? I've got about 30 mins left before I have the intake off.

Will it be obvious that I have a leaking intake gasket from looking at it? Also, I ordered Felpro gaskets. Will those be okay? Is it okay to use RTV or everything putting it back together? The manual says only in the corners where the edge gaskets meet the intake gaskets...

okay, got the intake off a while ago... everything looks fine. the gaskets don't have any tears or holes or obvious leaks. there's still silicone on the corners holding the end gaskets on. could it still be the culprit. it was a pretty fast leak...

where should i go next? water pump or heads?

edit, nevermind the bump

Archived