CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

MSD ignition

Hmm I thought I just posted a question asking this? :)

Or did I? Maybe i was dreaming.......

MSD Makes a DIS-4 ignition that goes 'in-line' with the stock ignition. I've been contemplating buying it for some time now but it's very expensive.

If anyone has tested this or knows if it will help AT ALL with the NS* engine let me know :)

Found this guys car on Cardomain... i heard it would really wake up a northstar...just wondering what you guys think of all of this

I'm sure that NOS woke his car up MUCH more than the ignition did. I very seriously doubt any ignition bolt-ons are going to make enough of a difference to justify their costs. This has been discussed here before I think...either here or the previous board. I know I've heard Bbobynski before saying the OE system has PLENTY of voltage to power the ignition system, and the spark is the spark...a larger spark isn't going to produce any more power without a commensurate increase of air/fuel. In other words, if you have NOS or a supercharger, I'd bet a high power ignition would help. Otherwise, nada.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It's not a 'larger' spark........ It's multiple sparks below 3000 rpm using capacative discharge insead of inductive(which I think the stock is). It fires many many sparks in a row instead of one and even at higher rpms it gives a more complete arc over due to voltage differences. While this in itself doesn't add any horsepower exactly, if you do any aftermarket mods such as exhaust and opening up intake or adding more fuel or especially things like nitrous/supercharger/etc. the msd should give way better results than it would if you just bolted that on and nothing else. At least this is the case with older cars i've worked on.. I really have no clue about this car as I just started taking it apart to learn it (my 99 seville).

So far i'm very impressed by how easy it is to replace things on this car.. While some things are EXTREMELY TEDIOUS to replace, it's still not DIFFICULT. The layout of things like how the weather stripping works, how the door panels come off, how the dash comes apart, how parts of the engine come apart, etc. are all pretty ingenious. While it might take a lot more time to take the engine out or apart then it would from say a 85 olds 88 :) it still is impressive. What's boggles the mind is the complete amount of things that can go wrong on this car :) Sooooo many little sensors and things.. i digress ..getting off subject :>

if you want more info on that particular car, go to cadillacforums.com. the guys screen name is shawdowlvr or something similar. he's there all the time.

While this in itself doesn't add any horsepower exactly, if you do any aftermarket mods such as exhaust and opening up intake or adding more fuel or especially things like nitrous/supercharger/etc. the msd should give way better results than it would if you just bolted that on and nothing else.

Absolutely, and that's what I ended my previous post with. You're not going to get anything "just bolting it on". However, if you have an intake AND exhaust, and more importantly, a mechanical power adder like larger camshafts or a turbo/supercharger, then I agree that the OE ignition system might be holding the engine's potential back some. But even then, I don't know enough about the power and characteristics of the OE ignition to give any numbers.

I'm sure Bbobynski would know the answer...or could give you a better one than I did anyway. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

They need to fire it multiple times because the duration is so short. :)

BEcause it's a capacitive discharge instead of inductive. Which in fact is better for lower rpm torque to have multiple arc over events. Once you get to higher rpms having one big spark is better. So it does both. Possibly a super high power inductive system would be better at high rpm but I don't know of any :> I'm also going to call Jacobs electronics and see how theirs works with this car. I called MSD and got the answers from them.

Archived