CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk Pulldown Gear Replacement???

wake

Last week I bought a 98 ETC and am having problems with the trunk pulldown... I took the mechanism apart and found that the plastic gear on the pulldown loop is stripped...

What I'm wondering is if there is a replacement for this gear of if I have to buy a whole new unit or is it serviceable aside from the switch and motor??? I imagine this would be a pretty common failure...

I searched the archives and couldn't find anything other than switch or motor replacements on the power trunk pulldown...

My thoughts have always been, that gear is made somewhere. It is replaceable IF you can find out who makes it..... and therein lies the problem. I have beaten the system before on things like this with some research. Other times I have made the part I couldn't find. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts like that sometime :wacko: Get started on something simple problem and just won't give up till I fix it when it may be easier to just buy the new part. I've wasted entire afternoons getting sidetracked fixing or making some part :lol:

wake:

If it is the mushroom shaped gear, it available at the dealer.

I bought one at the Chevy dealer in Grand Junction Co.

for less than $3.00. Thats right, three dollars.

After I replaced mine, it was noisey for awhile then got quiet.

Works fine now. I will never have that problem again because

I bought a spare. Good luck.

Don Hatfield

wake:

If it is the mushroom shaped gear, it available at the dealer.

I bought one at the Chevy dealer in Grand Junction Co.

for less than $3.00. Thats right, three dollars.

After I replaced mine, it was noisey for awhile then got quiet.

Works fine now. I will never have that problem again because

I bought a spare. Good luck.

Don Hatfield

Thanks for the info... I'll have to get to the dealer to find out if they can get a replacement gear...

I was thinking either that or heading over to the Caddy wrecking yard here in L.A.

Archived