CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

91 Deville dies intermittently, no electric power

Have been fixing my 91 Touring Sedan for last 6 months. Almost done, everything perfect except for E091 that causes Service Vehicle Soon light. Look for the infamous PRNDL switch, service manual doesn't say where it is located, don't know how it looks like. Anyway, open air filter case and removed siren for alarm that is next to stabilizer bar to gain access, reach for shift lever manual adjustment nut, remove it, have wife put car in Neutral, tighten nut again. Clear codes, light does not come back after several driving cycles, however it does not start in Neutral on most attempts. Drive to the mall thinking problem is gone. Funny behavior starts with Anti Lock light coming on for 5 minutes, then SIR light coming on for 3 minutes, then aftermarket stereo turning off by itself. After this, car is normal for 10 minutes, then suddenly stalls, all lights and all accessories going off for a second. This repeats twice on the highway but car restarts by itself. Off the highway, at low speeds the car stalls several times, intermittently, with no pattern. Each time all electric power goes off, then returns within 1 or 2 seconds. Have to stop to start vehicle in Park. Once at home try to figure out the problem, reach for shift lever adjustment nut again, look for all close electric harnesses, nothing evident. Put lever in Neutral and repeat adjustment procedure, go back inside, put lever in Park and right there lose all electric power for good. Battery is new and healthy.

Do you guys have any clue? Is there a relation between the shift lever and electric power? I was thinking maybe the Excalibur alarm disabled all power but really don’t see why. I am totally clueless and getting desperate.

Can't be of much help with your problem but if memory serves me correctly the PRNDL switch on the 4.9 is located on the trans. Look over the left fender and you should see it mounted on the trans with the shift cable attatched to it. There is a specific procedure in the "factory service manual" for adjusting it. I wouldn't trust Haynes or Chilton.

Thank you Larry! I actually have the factory service manual, I'll look for that procedure again. Would you think my problem has to do with a false contact, for example on the shift column?

Man, I don't know. This one sounds like a lot of gremlins in the electrical system. So many seemingly unrelated things going on make me want to say check the grounds.

You are not going to believe this. The car is fixed! My gut feeling was that the alarm somehow had messed up and that it had cut all power to all systems. It did not really make much sense but I had no other explanation, so I went in and dissasembled the bottom of the dash to examine all the alarm connections. Everything looked fine, now I really started to worry... So, yesterday I patiently checked every harness near the shift lever, and obviously found nothing. That's when I decided it was time to analyze circuit by circuit, it was going to be painful but had no option. I retested the battery from + to a ground near the engine and had no power, this is so strange I thought. Then I tested from - to the same ground and there was power; now it really didn't make sense. So I tested from + to - and bingo! No power! After a couple of tries it became apparent: the ground connection of the battery was loose! As I screwed that pole the alarm started to blow in all its glory. I feel like a fool but at the same time received the best father's day present.

I still cannot make the car start in Neutral. What does that PRNDL switch look like?

By the way, Larry Grandolfo, you are a genius...

By the way, Larry Grandolfo, you are a genius...

Just lucky, I've learned a lot from this board.

I can't remember what the PRNDL switch looks like, it's been a long time since I've had a 4.9. I think it is a large flat looking switch but don't hold me too it. There is a drawing of it in the service manual. The other way to find it is look under the hood where I mentioned and have some one get in the car and run thru the gears. You should be able to see the shift linkage (cable) move the PRNDL switch.

Archived