CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Oil Usage (bbob)

Rickster

Was at the dealer today, (again) Reguarding the front end clunk. I think my last post was about the dealer replacing the front strut mounts and bearings. BTW that did not fix the problem. No problem for me..got new parts for no cost. Going back again on Thursday. I think there going to repalce the intermidiate steering shaft. Again, fine by me...new parts. But I digres from my post. While I was in there, a customer was complaining about burning oil in his newer STS (2000-2002). The poor service advisor was sweating bullets. Having being educated by you on oil cunsumption and the high performance NorthStar, I took the oportunity to but in and give my opinion. The service advisor had that blank look and the customer listened closely. I told the service advisor that I would give him a copy of your previous post on this. As he was taking me to my car, he said "nice save". I can't take the credit for the coodos, so thank you. As I was heading home (of course with a few WOT's on the Squamish highway) I was thinking about this poor customer and his experance with his oil. Customer profile, middle age 55-60 (thats middle age to me, funny how middle age opinions move up the older you get)LOL. This guy has probably never experanced a 6200 RPM shift. Hence the oil usage. So I was thinking, as a comparison, what kind of oil usage does Indy V8 have in a 100 mile race? Or a F1 in a race? Any ideas?

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Thanks Guru. I relize that a race engine is different from the NorthStar, but they are still are a high performance engine as is a race engine. They will both use oil. I accept this as a trade off for performance. It is too bad that others who own a NorthStar do not understand this. WOT to the end.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I think most people dont have a problem accepting the issue of oil consumption in the Northstar motor... If they understand a little about the whys and hows.

It does seem odd that a Cadillac service manager wouldn't know that.

The basic problem is that most people traditionally associate oil consumption with a worn-out engine. It takes quite for some people to think about this in a different way.

Personally, if GM wants to build engines that consume noticable quantities of oil between oil changes, I think they should explain to the owners that is is normal and why it its normal. At the minimum, there should be some basic type of explanation in the owner's manual.

Archived