CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Steering Howling

tut

I have a 94 STS with 65K miles and the power steering pump is howling and the wheeel is stiff and will not turn at low speeds. New pump and rack installed and the next stop may be a variable speed assist mechanism. Anybody have any experience with this type of thing. My help is shooting in the dark. Thanks in advance fellas. Tut

Did you replace the power steering filter? Could be clogged and is a very cheap replacement, relatively speaking. Looks like a fuel filter, located near the passenger side fog light. My problem wasn't as severe as yours sounds so it could be a number of things but changing the filter took out the whining sound.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

kger2,

Do you know if the filter exists on 1999 STS?

thanks

I tried a simple google search but really don't have the time to "filter" through all the garbage. I picked mine up at Napa so i checked their site for your car. They list 4 different filters but i would call your local Napa and see what they show on their screen.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived