CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Using 10-30 instead of 5-30 weight oil

Calco

I have a 2004 Deville DTS and in the manual it says that if 5-30 is not available, it's OK to use 10-30. I live in a climate that hardly ever, if ever, gets below freezing and it generally is very hot (95 degrees or more).

At the oil change places, they have drum oil in 10-30, but only 'canned' oil in 5-30. I plan on using a Wix oil filter and since it would be easier to get the oil from the 'drum' type, as it can be set to pump in 7.5 quarts, I wouldn't be carrying a 1/2 quart of oil with me from an oil change. I hate to mess with the dealer, as it takes so long for them, or would it be *better* to let the dealer do the change?

Opinions of what to use...5-30 (Which I believe is to help with CAFE standards) or go with 10-30 since I'm in such a hot climate?

Thanks,

Allen C.

Either oil should fine. I'd stay away from quick lube places, unless you happen to know someone who works there and they'll be working on your car, etc. Heard lots of horror stories from places like Jiffy Lube. I don't know if they're all true, but you hear very few bad stories about oil changes at a dealership -- they tend to do it right, even if it does take a little longer.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks, I believe I'll go to the dealer and wait...just insist he install my filter instead of one of his. ;)

They might do that for ya...although having an AC-Delco filter on there wouldn't be the end of the world. In fact, it's what the engine was validated with, and what was installed at the factory. It's what's been on my Seville for 135,000 miles. Most agree that the AC-Delco is one of the better filters out there, although Wix filters also have a good reputation.

I just bought a 2004 Chevy van. Owners manual calls for 5W30. Shop manual says use 5W if available but if outside temps will be 0 deg F or above the 10W is acceptable substitute. Here in Nazi Jersey it rarely goes below 0 in winter and since I have four vehicles to service, 10W30 is going to be my choice.

FWIW

YMMV

DFB

To take this one step further, about 80 percent of the oil filter's job is to trap the debris generated during break-in...

So, if 80% of the debris is trapped during break-in, why is a filter change recommended with every oil change on the Northstar, but other GM engines say every other oil change (unless the interval is based on time -- 1 year)?

In other words, at 116,000 miles, I think my Northstar is broken in!

Thanks!

Wow...the thoroughness and detail-oriented nature of OE engineering never ceases to amaze me!

Interesting with so many posts on high gas prices and fuel economy complaints that a basic item like the correct oil viscosity for maximum fuel economy is poo-poo'ed...

My van is a service vehicle, a rolling tool box if you will. If it's use is anything like the '86 Ford it replaced, it will accumulate about 75 to 80 miles per week (not day). Is there a figure available on the average percentage of fuel saved by using 5W vs 10W oil?

If it's worth the hassle in dollars and cents I'd get the 5W just for the van.

Archived