CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Radiator leak and Head Gaskets leaking

tm8272

I had leaking antifreeze everytime I stopped my car last week. Decided I better get it home, and by time I got it home coolent level low light had come on. I had all hoses replaced a year ago so figured either radiator or water pump. I put more antifreeze in and took it to the dealer. They called me today with bad news. The radiator is leaking but also my head gaskets are leaking they told me!! I asked them if they did a pressure test on system, how did they find that? They said with a die test in coolant. Said it would cost about 5500.00 to repair!!

The car has no spoke coming out and ran fine until the radiator leak showed up!! I even drove it fine to dealer. I have seen posts on here about HEAL> A SEAL gasket repair product. Should I get as second opinion on car, buy a radiator and replace that and try the Heal A seal repair product?? I love my car and it has always been garaged. I was just curious also, does anyone have any stastics on the highest milage ever obtained on a Northstar engine??? Mine is the SLS 94 I bought used pre-certified at dealer with 46,000 miles and have used full Penzoil systhetic oil since 60,000 miles. I have always kept it garaged and taken very good care of it. Now it has 194,000. I would love to hear input on how many miles other people have gotten on these engines before major repair bill. I dont like the idea of sending it to the scrap yard yet!! Thanks for any thoughts or inputs! :mellow:

Well you can buy the same kit to check for exhaust gases in your coolant system from NAPA for $50. This test will confirm wheter or not your headgaskets have failed. The dealer is going to be the most expensive place to get your Caddy repaired, but other shops can do it, just make sure they timesert it or use studs when they repair it. Unfortunately it does sound like your headgaskets have failed. Alot of times when the headgaskets go, the radiator side tanks bust due to the increased pressure from the blown headgaskets. Stay away from HEAL-A-SEAL or any other magic potion in a bottle for it wont do anything besides take money out of your wallet. It may help for a week or so but it will NOT fix your problem. Goodluck but it sounds like your a new member of the Ol Headgasket Club.

3100406887_808dbe1b91_m.jpg3100408453_191809e0a7_m.jpg

Thanks for the info and the suggestions! I'm heading now to the dealer to pick up the car!! I will check back later to see if any new replys.

Archived