CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

sway bar bushing R&R

bjbinsjo

rotated my tires this weekend and saw where the sway bar bushings are located. from a search on "clunking," i think the bushings need replacement.

any trick to R&R? does the bracket need to come all the way off? any trick to getting the old bushing off and the new bushing on the bar?

thanks,

bruce

Don't know if your 92 is the same, but my 96 has little 8" dogbones that connect the rear sway bar to the frame. They are aluminum with rubber bushings in each end. One of mine was broken so had to replace it. Only $15 for the whole thing at the dealer so not worth trying to put bushings in.

rotated my tires this weekend and saw where the sway bar bushings are located. from a search on "clunking," i think the bushings need replacement.

any trick to R&R? does the bracket need to come all the way off? any trick to getting the old bushing off and the new bushing on the bar?

thanks,

bruce

No real secret at all, two bolts hold a U-bracket. The slit in the bushing faces the rear and the bolts get tightened to 35 ft lbs. I would not disturb the links to do the job just slide off the old, slid on the new and bolt it up, Mike

Note, both wheels should be "hanging the same way", so the stabilizer bar won't be pre-loaded. If you just jack up one side, it will make the bar "work" and make the job a lot harder.

rek

Archived