CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ticking Noise Front Cylinder Bank?

badrhino

Now I got a ticking noise on the front cyclinder bank. Just put 500 miles on the car this weekend and noticed it ticking this morning whenI went to the car to start it up before work. Normally I just get in and start it up and when you are inside the cabin of a Caddy you really can't hear any engine noises. Could have been doing it this weekend and never noticed. :o

Just wondering if it could possibly be carbon build up on one of the valves. There are no engine codes or any codes for that matter.

Any suggestions?

Today is the day you were worried about yesterday!

Carbon build up aka cold carbon rap (technically piston slap) is a carbon build up on the piston head, not the valves and usually only lasts a few seconds until the cylinder gets heated up.

It does it even after the engine is warm. :huh: While I was looking at the motor and listening I also decided to put a socket on one of the intake manifold bolts to see if they were loose as someone haid mentioned those getting loose. Yep everyone of them were loose. I just tightened them up by feel (not too tight).Does this happen to all of these motors?

I hope it is carbon build up.

I don't want to go out and hammer it (WOT) therapy and blow up my motor.

Also, has anyone ever tried running Seafoam through the injection system to help clean these engines out or is this a bad idea?

You may have a sticky lifter. This can be caused by many things, varnish build-up, other gummy residue, etc. A method that normally works to help to free them up, is to add 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to the engine oil. Do not over fill the crankcase.

In addition add one pint of MMO to a full tank of gas.

Marvel is one of the very few additives that I will recommend. It has a proven track record of freeing up sticky lifters and rings. It will not cause any damage to your engine, or catalytic converter.

Results are usually achieved in minutes, or in some tough cases, you may need to run through a tank of gas or so.

No need to abuse the car to work it in, just drive normally. After it stops ticking, some WOT's may be in order.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

You couldn't blow that motor up if you tried.

Seems every time I hear of someone using Seafoam, they have problems later. If i REALLY needed decarbonizing I would use the GM procedure with Techron. Just better know what you are doing.

Went out and started it up this morning and nothing. Back to normal. Nice and Quite. I guess it fixed itself.

Archived