CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Cat is Smoking

EJPut

After fixing my car from the flooded manifold and having to replace starter, I have noticed a smell in the car like something plastic is burning. I can see smoke coming from the front of the catalytic converter and also notice a oily residue on the bottom of the catalytic converter. Is it possible that because I flooded the manifold and sucked gas into the cylinders that I somehow have something caught where the cat meets the exhaust manifold? What could that oily residue be at the bottom of the cat be? If I do have to replace the cat, it looks like there are only two bolts that hold it to the manifold and the other side is welded to the intermediate pipe, is this correct?

Thanks,

Eric

Sounds like you might have an oil leak

What id do is drive it real hard and fast then jump out and look at the cat-conv.

I did this today and saw a few drops of oil burning off.. later, i climbed under and wiped everything down, tommorrow ill check to see where its dirty

If the cat is bad, it either rattles or it will get REALLLLLLLLly hot almost turn red

some sensor should go off i believe

Probably just an oil leak like 24 said

The Cat is Smoking

BAD KITTY! BAD, BAD KITTY!!

...Jeez, I really need to get some sleep...or perhaps a cat extinguisher?

-Rav

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

Archived