CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power Mirrors stopped working

My power mirrors on my 92 STS stopped recently. The drivers side mirror only works in the up position. I can hear the motor running, but when I try to adjust it down or to the side, it doesn't move. The passenger side doesn't work at all, and I can't hear the motor turning. What has to be replaced, the switch in the door panel, or the mirror it self? Appreciate the replies.

My power mirrors on my 92 STS stopped recently. The drivers side mirror only works in the up position. I can hear the motor running, but when I try to adjust it down or to the side, it doesn't move. The passenger side doesn't work at all, and I can't hear the motor turning. What has to be replaced, the switch in the door panel, or the mirror it self? Appreciate the replies.

Sounds to me like it is working. I'd pop the glass out and see if the cable is rusted. Maybe just needs a drop or two of oil. Does it work if you give it a thumb assist?

Sounds to me like it is working. I'd pop the glass out and see if the cable is rusted. Maybe just needs a drop or two of oil. Does it work if you give it a thumb assist?

Thx for the reply, Do you mean pop out the mirror itself? And no, even if I assist it it doesn't work. Driver's side moves up and out, but not in and down. Passenger side doesn't work at all in either direction.

Yes, pop out the mirror (glass). Then you can see what's going on inside.

Is there a particular way of doing this? I've never took one out before. Worried about breaking something, is there some type of clips holding the mirror? Thx again for the reply.

It is held in by 4 ball & sockets. The balls are on the 4 direction actuators and the sockets are on the mirror. Turn the mirror all the way out and get your fingers behind the inboard side and pry. It should pop right out. When you replace it, don't press on the glass. Use a 2x4 or something cut to length to press on the frame.

Archived