CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bars Leak Gold

jgr7

in your other cars? The non Caddillac cars? I'm getting ready to change the coolant on my daughters 99 Chrysler Cirrus 2.5 V6 and was wondering if I should use Bars Leak gold in it.

Jeff

If I remember right, i believe all these cars came from the factory with a type of sealant in the coolant, the Bars will be fine for all of them, it does more than just provide leak protection, it also help scrub the inner surface of the water pump seal, where if you are running the older green coolant silicates these are very abrasive and shorten water pump seal life by abrading the surface of the seal. Also the silicates can build up on the seal surface and "unseat" the seal

causing seepage. The seal is fine but the silicate contamination

does cause a leak. The coolant supplement pellets tend to prevent

the latter situation by cleaning the surface of the water pump

seal and preventing the silicate build up. The little fibers in

the supplement literally "scrub" the surface preventing the

silicate buildup.

John

John

Ya. After I purchased my used '95 Nissan truck, at 171,000 miles, I had no idea how old the coolant was in the engine. Since it's an iron block/aluminum headed engine, I knew from this site that coolant changes are important. :)

I drained the coolant and added some genuine GM sealing tabs to the mixture. Been runnin' great ever since. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks guys for the info. I bought her the car with 35k miles 2 1/2 years ago now has 70k so the manual says time to change coolant. I will use the Bars leak.

Jeff

Archived