CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant problems

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site. I own a 1994 cadillac STS. Last Friday I drove my car for a few hours. When I got home my car was fine. However when I woke up in the morning there was Anitfreeze/coolant all over the place in the driveway. So I did some trouble shooting. After refilling the coolant, I let the engine run for a few minutes( with the cap for the coolant off) I realized that the coolant was overflowing. What should I do

50/50 coolant/water will boil at somewhere around 220F at sea level pressure. Pressurize it to 16 psi and that goes up to 265F. It will ALWAYS boil over with the cap off. Put the cap back on and let it warm up and pressurize and then look for the leak.

Also, you should inspect the radiator, hoses, and water pump to determine if there are any leaks. It sounds like you have a leak somewhere. It's just a matter of finding it. If the radiator is the original then I would be suspicious that one of the plastic side tanks of the radiator cracked.

I did the 50/50 coolant/water and I noticed that the hose from the coolant overflow isn't connected to anything on the other end. Its just hanging from the overflow piece and I don't know where to hook up the other end. I took a look around the radiator and I noticed that there is a leak coming from a hose which is hooked up to the condenser. It looks like someone did a really poor job connecting it, its kinda just hanging there infront of the radiator. I can admit that I really don't know too much about cooling systems but I have to do something.

I will be adding some pics tomorrow

Archived