CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

• 2 years later...

Nick,

I just posted a question re. upgrading my 2000 DeVille headights to perform as well as those in my 2007 DTS. I don't know if it's technically advisable, or possible, or what the cost might be if my son did the work.

Steve M.

Nick,

I just posted a question re. upgrading my 2000 DeVille headights to perform as well as those in my 2007 DTS. I don't know if it's technically advisable, or possible, or what the cost might be if my son did the work.

Steve M.

Your 2007 DTS has projector style low beam headlamps. Projector lamp assemblies and HID light sources are a perfect match in terms of light concentration and horizontal beam cutoff.

Your 2000 Deville has reflector style low beam headlamps. Retrofitting HID light sources into a relector style lamp assembly is mechanically and electrically simple. However. The light concentration and horizontal cutoff features of a projector style lamp assembly are absent. Oncoming drivers will be blinded.

Plus most vehicles that were not factory designed to have HID light sources do not leave the low beams ON when high beams are selected. The surprise comes when you switch back to low beams and you are driving in the dark for the time it takes the HID light source to achieve operating temperature. Fortunately there is a simple fix for that unhealthy situation.

Reflector style lamp assemblies and HID light sources are NOT a responsible combination.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thats for sure JimD, I hate reflectors with HID.Projectors with HID are the way to go, My 2002 STS has them.

look1-1-1.jpg

Archived