CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

E55 Closed Throttle Angle Out Of Range

I bought a 92 deville 4.9 liter and it runs alright but I did the OBD and got E55 code Closed Throttle Angle Out of Range so what does that mean and what do I need to do to check it/fix it and is it important enough to that I shouldn't drive the car until I fix it?

I think it means that the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) is reading the throttle position to be at closed throttle, but the RPM is to high to be at closed throttle.

Well ok then thank you for the help.

Art, Ranger is right but I would also check and see if cleaning the throttle body and plate helps. The sensor is aloud a certain ammount of play and if the plate is sticking it can exceed that range and set the code.

Thanks I will look into that too, now I just need pictures of all this stuff so I can have a better idea on what it should look like.

Unfortunally I don't have a scanner or I would post them for you. But, you can pick up a Haynes manual at just about any parts store for about $20. While the info in them isn't that helpful it does provide decent pics. Other than that the throttle position sensor is located on the throttle body assembly which is at the end of the air intake tube on the engine. If you take the tube off you can easily see inside it. If there is any sort of black/brown substance inside I would suggest cleaning it off and then clear the code. If that does not fix it then I would start looking at the sensor and wiring.

I checked the RPM and it was at 850 but I couldn't adjust the screw to turn it down, is there a special tool I need or is it just stuck. It seemed like if I put any more pressure on it that I was going to break something so I quit trying

Idle speed is controlled by the PCM. Press on the ISC motor plunger. It should retract. When it bottoms out, pull the plug. Now adjust the plunger to a .060 gap with the throttle and leave it alone.

Archived