CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front End Rattle (epilog)

Rickster

Well I think its over. After several visits to the dealer on the front end...... I am hopeing it is solved. Quick history. Tie rod ends replaced, wheel berrings and hub replaced, front upper strut mounts and bearings replaced and finally the intermidiate steering shaft TSB done. The previous 3 did make a slight differance but no where near the improvment the service on the steering shaft has done. The rattle is gone and handeing is incredible. The lose feeling in the steering going over bumps or a seam in the pavement where it would feel like the car would dart to one side or the other is almost non existant. (I think new rubber will fix the last of that) It is like a new car again. But..... It leaves me woundering how long this TSB on the shaft will last? I mean all the did was graese the shaft. When the grease is pounded out in time will the rattle and loseness return? I ran heavey equipment for several years and grease was the quick fix on many lose parts. (lots of it). So I guess the question is...... Is greaseing the shaft a permenent fix or in the future will there be something that should be replaced?

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

No bites on this one so I hope you don't mind, I'm trying it again. I recall a few posts on the old board about the TSB being done on a few of us out there. First question..... Is it still OK on your cars? Has the problem returned? and the other question....... What exactly does this "greasing of the shaft" do? Have not had the privelge of seeing the actual TSB. That might answer all my questions :blink:

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

That seems like a lot of problems for an STS with 2001 miles to have!

Ya I agree. But I beleive there was nothing wrong with all the parts replaced. When they greased the intermidiate steering colum it made more of a differance than all the new parts together.

I had a thunking problem on my 2002 STS. The first time in to the dealer for this they did the "Intermediate Steering Shaft lube" TSB. I started to notice the thunk coming back after a month or so. The next time in, they replaced the Intermediate Steering Shaft. I haven't heard the thunk since then.

I think it was Logan who posted some pictures on the old board several months ago of his shaft on his 2001 fake DTS. He had removed it and as I recall, found an uneven surface on the shaft. He smoothed out the surface on his and that seemed to fix his problem.

Thanks Dave. I wiil keep monitoring the "fix"

Archived