CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fouled Plug(s)

EJPut

After fixing my fuel rail and having to replace starter due to the hydrostatic lock of the engine (with gas), car runs but has developed a severe stumble/miss. I was thinking that maybe, one or two plugs may be no good after being soaked in the gas before I had a chance to clear the cylinders. Would a situation like this cause the plugs to foul to the point where they should be replaced, I just bought these about 6 months ago but after soaking in gas they may be no good. What do you think?

Thanks,

Eric

I wouldn't think being soaked in gas would hurt them any. The gas would burn off once started. You could pull them and clean 'em but I would suspect some other problem. Perhaps a loose or broken plug wire.

Uh....replace the plugs.

When plugs are gas soaked like that the spark arcs down the (wet) porcelean. After repeated arcing it will actually etch a shallow groove in the porcelean that will cause a continuing misfire thereafter.

Soaking the plugs in gas will not hurt them....but arching them while they are soaked in gas like you did will definitely do them in.....

Did you think to maybe run a compression check real quick to see if anything in a cylinder was damaged when it was hydrostatically locked...??? Maybe the reason for the miss is more deep seated....

BTW....for a quickie just change the plug on that cylinder that the injector failed....

But then, what the hell do I know :lol:

I will replace the plugs and if I new how to run a compression check, I would. The first time I started the car after replacing the starter it ran rough but that was to be expected, I turned the car around and it smoothed out, then I started it a second time and it ran perfectly, no hesitation, no stumble, very smooth. The miss started after I drove it a few times.

Archived